• geneva_convenience@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 days ago

Atheism is certainty of the nonexistence of a creator.

As clearly demonstrated in this thread by people certain of their atheism so much you would be hard pressed to find a religious person so arrogant in their beliefs.

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 days ago

Atheism is certainty of the nonexistence of a creator.

This is wrong. The only thing required to be an atheist is lacking a belief in theistic claims. You don’t need to make the claim that God doesn’t exist, and most atheists don’t.

The only thing we’re certain of (not absolutely, but fairly certain) is that theists haven’t met their burden of proof.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

You highlighted the A without any understanding of what the prefix a- means. It means not, or without.

I’m not a theist because they haven’t convinced me of any theistic claims. I don’t claim no gods exist. I just don’t know of any gods that exist, therefore I am without theism. A-theism.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

https://www.dictionary.com/e/atheism-agnosticism/

There is a key distinction between these terms. An atheist doesn’t believe in the existence of a god or divine being. The word atheist originates with the Greek atheos, which is built from the roots a- (“without”) and theos (“a god”). Atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

In contrast, the word agnostic refers to a person who neither believes nor disbelieves in a god or religious doctrine. Agnostics assert that it’s impossible to know how the universe was created and whether or not divine beings exist.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 days ago

They seem quite confident as they proclaim their superiority over religious people and cannot comprehend why anyone would be religious.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 day ago

Sure. And nobody claimed “God doesn’t exist.” Two people now have told you that you’re mistaken, but you insist.

From our perspective it seems like you’re imposing a baseless claim onto us so you can feel better about your own baseless claims. Only theists say atheism is a claim.

• ianovic69@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

I don’t believe correcting you would be helpful.

I’ve made my suggestions, which I believe you would be much better served by exploring.

I’ll repeat for your benefit, that if you want to know what someone thinks or what they mean, the best thing you can do is to ask them.

Give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised or possibly even learn something.*

*Maybe or possibly are not guarantees. I make no promises, but I’ll try.