• TheControlled@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I knew a Rommel from Mexico. Cool guy. He explained that Rommel was evil, just a General at war. He attempted an assassination plot that failed and he had to choose if he wanted his family to die, or if he should only die. Guess what he chose…

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

If you meant “wasn’t” like the rest of your comment implies, incorrect. Rommel is someone Wehrmacht apologists (or people with his last name) like to make excuses for, but he was a bad, bad dude, if nothing else for being a huge Hitler fanboy well into the Holocaust, of which he was very aware. Hell, supporting the annexation of Austria, Czechoslovakia, and the invasion of Poland by themselves makes you a piece of shit fascist.

He also didn’t try to assassinate Hitler, or at least we have no proof for and much against.

If you want some light reading…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rommel_myth

Wikipedia tries to stay unbiased on the topic but the simple reality is the only way a Wehrmacht officer didn’t participate in genocide was by being dead in 1938, and if you think a field marshal could have clean hands I have a bridge to sell you.

The Rommel myth has better basis that most but it’s still a legacy of Cold War realpolitik as the Allies scrambled to politically justify leaving the monstrous establishments of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan relatively intact to use against the Comintern.

They wanted idiots to say “Well, look at Rommel, the Wehrmacht officer class wasn’t ALL bad, we can’t execute them all!”

And the plan worked, and to this day Rommel is still remembered as “One of the good Nazis.”

• TheControlled@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Fuck me! I’ve been bamboozled and my old buddy from Mexico is named after a real son of a bitch. Thanks for educating me!