• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I dated an “Argentinian” girl in college called Julia Göring. She told me that unlike most families with Nazi related last names, hers decided to keep theirs per her grandmother’s insistence.

• Baŝto
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

When Hitler was born, Adolf was one of the 50 most popular first names in Germany, even though he wasn’t born in Germany.

• Baŝto
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              10 months ago

Well, the more popular a name the likelier it is that some screwed up person has that name.

• Stalin was a Joseph (Ioseb).
              • Leopold II of Belgium was a Leopold (Léopold), with second names Lewis (Louis) and Philipp (Philippe).
              • Lenin was a Vladimir (Владимир).
              • Obote was a Milton.
              • Mussolini was a Benedict (Benito).
              • Franco was a Francis (Francisco).
              • Tito was a Joseph (Josip).
              • Micombero was a Michael (Michel).
    • Hubi@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Göring isn’t even such an uncommon name in Germany, there’s even a politician of the Green Party currently in parliament with that name.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

His parents came over pre-war, but it blew my mind when I found out the former dictator of Peru (Alberto Fujimori) was of Japanese ancestry.

I mean there’s no reason why an ethnically Japanese man can’t rule Peru, but it still was not something I expected at all.

Maybe it’s just personal prejudice?

• yeather@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Bro was doing side quests when Japan was fucking up the main game attacking Pearl harbor.

• InfiniWheel@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

There’s a lot going on with Peru’s presidents. Another one was of polish ethnicity, another one shot himself and they recently impeached their 4th(?) president in the last 4 years. Also one of the few places I’ve seen that has a jail only for ex presidents.

• Baŝto
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Wasn’t there already a German population before WW2 because there is a small patch in Argentina with similar climate to Germany?

• Baŝto
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yes, you are right. I only had Cfb (Temperate oceanic) in mind, which is indeed quite small. But there is also a lot bigger area covered by Cfa (Humid subtropical). And both together are indeed more than twice as large as Germany.

• boyi@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Argentina during that time is like the US now - such a promising country. People migrated there in flock.

• SyJ@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I don’t think you can shit post facts. Know an Argentine girl, last name is so German she’s not allowed to cross the Rhineland.

• WhoisJohnGalt@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

A picture of Mussolini could work also, so many Argentinians I know have Italian last names (as well as German).

• TheControlled@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I knew a Rommel from Mexico. Cool guy. He explained that Rommel was evil, just a General at war. He attempted an assassination plot that failed and he had to choose if he wanted his family to die, or if he should only die. Guess what he chose…

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

If you meant “wasn’t” like the rest of your comment implies, incorrect. Rommel is someone Wehrmacht apologists (or people with his last name) like to make excuses for, but he was a bad, bad dude, if nothing else for being a huge Hitler fanboy well into the Holocaust, of which he was very aware. Hell, supporting the annexation of Austria, Czechoslovakia, and the invasion of Poland by themselves makes you a piece of shit fascist.

He also didn’t try to assassinate Hitler, or at least we have no proof for and much against.

If you want some light reading…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rommel_myth

Wikipedia tries to stay unbiased on the topic but the simple reality is the only way a Wehrmacht officer didn’t participate in genocide was by being dead in 1938, and if you think a field marshal could have clean hands I have a bridge to sell you.

The Rommel myth has better basis that most but it’s still a legacy of Cold War realpolitik as the Allies scrambled to politically justify leaving the monstrous establishments of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan relatively intact to use against the Comintern.

They wanted idiots to say “Well, look at Rommel, the Wehrmacht officer class wasn’t ALL bad, we can’t execute them all!”

And the plan worked, and to this day Rommel is still remembered as “One of the good Nazis.”

• TheControlled@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Fuck me! I’ve been bamboozled and my old buddy from Mexico is named after a real son of a bitch. Thanks for educating me!

• codybrumfield@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

The most predictable part of every right wing South American coup attempt is that there will be an Op-Ed in The NY Times by an idealistic young woman named Esmeralda Santa Maria or whatever saying, “Please, America, save my brave people from the trade unionists.” and then she’ll turn out to be the granddaughter of former Finance Minister Enrique Von Braun or whoever.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Argentinia wasn’t forcibly denazified after the war and was sympathetic to fascism and so a lot of Nazis and fascists fled there to avoid prison or the rope. Mengele lived in buenos Aries until the 90s.

Compare this to francoist spain which always knew it had to walk a tight line because so long as they were ostensibly more on the side of the Allies than the axis they could get away with shit like having their white terror and various other fascist governances. Combine that understanding with a large border with France and axis officers felt it was unsafe to flee to for good reason.