No but like seriously, why are vegan and vegetarian options always MORE expensive at restaurants. Whenever I cook my self, the meat is BY FAR the most expensive part of any meal. Meanwhile stuff like soy strips are DIRT CHEAP, not to mention they last basically forever!

The canteen I go to for lunch actually sells the meatless meals for 2/3 of the price, always a taunting reminder. Like hell yea, that’s how ya convert me!

• LANIK2000@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 days ago

Exactly! Whenever I was low on cash as a student, I’d just buy some tomatoes, throw in some lettuce and mayo I already had for sandwiches and boom! Maybe add some pasta and or an egg. Depending on how fancy I go that’s anywhere between like 2~3 bucks a big ass bowl!

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 days ago

Not where I’m at :(

The problem is that fresh food is more expensive than frozen food, but meat freezes better than vegetables. There’s some veggies that can be flash-frozen and retain some taste and texture, but often the comparison is between fresh veggies and frozen meat, and they’re about the same price around here at least.

• Daxtron2@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Buy the super firm stuff and, if you’re willing to spend the extra time, put it in a tofu press to get out even more water. Marinate in the same kind of things as meat. Fry in a pan, cook on the grill, or on an open flame is my favorite :)

The drier the tofu, the more meaty it gets and will brown a lot better too. I don’t care what people say about oil, I think its much better for flavor and Browning.

• Toneswirly@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Drain well; put a towel over the cut pieces and place weight on it to press water out for ~2hrs.

Toss with soy sauce and spices. Bake at 425 F for 20 min, flip and then 15 min more. Serve with literally whatever bullshit you got