• Lvxferre@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

It’s kind of funny how extremely similar English and German are, but you notice it only when you neither natively speak. Because of that doesn’t the video even off to me sound.

(And yes, I’m doing it on purpose. Why not?)

• barsoap@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

It should be “I broke fast”, not “I breakfasted”, there’s already a verb in there but people have forgotten, TBH “To have break fast” is quite questionable grammar. It’s different in German, “Frühstück” means “early piece”, an adjective-noun compound which then can be fed through the usual verbification rules.

• Wanderer@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 days ago

From what I have gathered. In German you can just make up words, it it makes sense everyone will just go along with it.

There are a lot of words in English that could exist but if you made them someone would look at like you are stupid for thinking something that isn’t a word is a word. You can’t just make words.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

English does that all the time, breakfast is actually a very good example. Toothpaste. Hairstyle. Bedroom.

• DeuxChevaux@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Haha, I am a native German speaker, and I had a hard time following them without looking at the subtitles. But then, grammar is a fickle bitch in all languages.

• doodledup@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

No matter how bad their English is, nobody would ever speak like that in Germany.

• Lvxferre@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 days ago

The video isn’t trying to imitate a German speaker with poor English; it’s simply German syntax with English vocabulary.