• kamenLady.@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

Love how the article starts:

We’ve all been there. You acquire mushrooms, eat some, and store the rest …

We sure have.

• athairmor@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

They describe this as a “relatively off-the-cuff experiment” without really explaining what that means.

I’ll wait for a more rigorous study.

• ArxCyberwolf@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I have a cookies n’ cream shrooms bar that has sat in the fridge for 2 years as well… I completely forgot it was there til this post reminded me lmao

• 9point6@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 days ago

No mention of fridging them so they last longer? I thought that one was pretty common knowledge, I wonder how much of a difference it would make

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 days ago

From my research, psilocybin is best preserved in a dry, sealed container in a cool, dark area. Vacuum sealing is probably ideal to prevent molding.

Too hot or too cold is not good for it, actually. Just above freezing (typical fridge temps) probably doesn’t do much for preservation of they are properly dried and and puts them at a higher risk of freezing, which may start the breakdown process.

Heat stability data: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/PREVENTIONWELLNESS/Documents/Stability of Psilocybin and Analogs.pdf

(Breakdown starts at 25C)

Getting it too cold probably won’t be possible for most people: https://analyticalsciencejournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dta.2950

(Breakdown starts at -80C)

The interwebs consensus is a storage temperature at just below ~21C/70F.

Personally, I use mason jars stored in a cabinet using several desiccant packs per jar. (The only strain that has degraded on me was a few bulk grows of JMF in gallon ziploc bags with poorly maintained desiccant. JMF ain’t that potent anyway.)

• systemglitch@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 days ago

I’ve been storing mazatapec. Vac sealed in a duffle bag and some not vac sealed in a duffle bag. Even the un-vac sealed have been holding their potency. It seems to me the biggest factors are heat and exposure to oxygen. Vac sealed is ideal, but even being stored in a bag that isn’t being handled or opened mor than once a year seems to be agreeable.

And anything thrown into the freezer seems to just last.

When I was younger a guy stored them in a briefcase in Vancouver, broken down into grams, and those lost all their potency fast.

All my experienice is anecdotal, but it’s served me well over 35 years of dealing with the things: dry, cool, no air flow.

• remotelove@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 days ago

I’ll double down on the need for a vacuum sealer after your comments. I forgot that the enemy of just about everything is oxidation. While I have no idea how oxygen effects shrooms, I speculate that it can’t be good in many cases.

But yeah, anecdotally, my mason jars have been just fine too. Each strain I have is a unique experience and does slightly change over time. While a mason jar isn’t as effective as vacuum sealing for “perfect” storage, I suspect that oxidation (or just age) may alter the other psychedelic compounds found in the mushrooms a little more aggressively. (Just speculation though.)

• El Barto@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 days ago

Is this something new?

I’ve heard from people that those who try mushrooms or truffles shouldn’t do it too often, precisely, because of the loss of effectiveness.

Edit: I should read the fucking article.