I am an Indian and I have become hyperaware of the people and the culture that surrounds me and I am beginning to see the flaws in it. One of the flaws that trouble me the MOST is how most Indians behave when they encounter any authority figure (mostly higher class or “higher” caste or the wealthy or the bureaucrat class).

When an average Indian walks into a Government office with a corrupt bureaucrat in it, he begins treating himself as an insect, he is way too afraid and he is way too submissive and slavish, this doesn’t end here however, if you meet someone of a higher social status than yourself you become slavish and submissive there too and this happens every time an authority figure is in the room and even with people who think very highly of themselves(at their homes, with their families etc.,) I dress well and look somewhat well so once I had a guy who is my father’s age call me sir and use language which is reserved for “the higher classes”. This is not ok! I wish he had a spine, I don’t want to be him when I grow up, but I know he didn’t choose to be that way, it’s the environment he was brought up in and not being aware of one’s own slavishness.

I am not blaming my people, but I do detest the culture which caused this. And don’t be fooled, I am not an observer, I (used to) do this too and I hate this

It’s like our bones melt and our brain switches off and we become in our own eyes the lowest form of life on earth. Probably justifiably because the education we have received is subpar (counter-productive) in most cases. And you can’t think highly of yourself if you are capable of doing anything productive, but it’s not just that, it happens with those people who are productive members of the society, but to a lesser extent.

I have heard many Southern Asian countries are like this in this aspect. So, I was wondering how you treat authority in your culture and if you thought it was healthy. I would be very much interested if your culture is similar to mine and what you think might have caused it.

And most importantly, how do you think I can get rid of this disgusting habit, is it even possible in India? (fellow Indians jump in here)

edit: Thanks to everyone who replies! :)

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 days ago

Um, we make fun of our authority figures but also believe the worst of them whatever they say about our national enemies (regarding Australia, national enemies include China, immigrants, the poor etc). There is more standard capitalist deference as well, you’re not going to slag someone who can fire you (to their face). And people are constantly ladder climbing as well, so there’s this sort of jockeying to have good banter while not creating enemies more powerful than you. I hate it. Its hard to navigate and people hide some real barbs behind “its a joke”.

idk how to change culture >.>

• Ganesh Venugopal@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 days ago

Um, we make fun of our authority figures but also believe the worst of them

How do you behave with them when you face to face with them? i.e., How do you communicate with them? Behind backdoors, things are normal here too (i.e., we don’t respect them, unless they are a charismatic politician)

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

Kinda depends. Cop on duty? Probably not. Politician or business owner? Unless they can directly affect you, annoying banter. If they can directly affect you, based on vibes.