archive.is link

More than 1,100 self-identified STEM students and young workers from over 120 universities have signed a pledge to not take jobs or internships at Google or Amazon until the companies end their involvement in Project Nimbus, a $1.2 billion contract providing cloud computing services and infrastructure to the Israeli government.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

I know it’s officially not cool to like Rick and Morty anymore, but I cannot read a description of a suspicious bad thing called “Project Nimbus” that Google is getting itself involved in, without picturing a weird creepy sexual supervillain riding a giant seashell into a meeting with their executives

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

It became associated with aggressive internet shutins bleating about Pickle Rick and the szechuan sauce, although it’s hard to tell where exactly the line was between “these guys are losers yelling and being obnoxious at McDonalds,” and “stop cyberbullying we’re all just internet weirdos who like a funny cartoon and that is fine.” And then, Justin Roiland had some kind of sex abuse allegations and the worm turned and the world is officially supposed to hate Rick and Morty now, I think.

I mean, allegedly. I’m with you; some of it is still some great funny shit.

• MindTraveller@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Rick and Morty fired Justin Roiland and got twl new voice actors to play Rick and Morty. Ian Cardoni and Harry Belden. They’re great, they voiced season 7 and it’s the best season of Rick and Morty yet.

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 days ago

I hadn’t fully been aware of the changeover, but yeah I saw season 7 and it was definitely more coherent and solid and less wandery and desperate than some of the middle seasons, absolutely there was an uptick in quality to me yes

• Avid Amoeba@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Thanks for the recap. Yeah I think I was more or less aware of most of those bits. I guess I didn’t get to the conclusion. 😅 Also I think they handled Justin Roiland’s issues fairly unambiguously. Assuming he was a bastard, I didn’t skip a beat watching the Justin-free season.