link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 days ago

from the comments

Quick question, who formed an alliance with Hitler? Stalin or Roosevelt?

The answer to this question is “Mussolini and Tojo”. Several European countries signed a “Non Aggression Pact” before the USSR, and then the USSR signed a “Non Aggression Pact” to buy time because they knew an invasion was inevitable.

• Sephitard9001 [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Aha, but we decided that World War II arbitrarily started when Germany invaded Poland after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, and didn’t start because of any conflicts before or after that. Checkmate, tankie smuglord

• GrouchyGrouse [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Viewing WWI and WW2 as basically one giant war with an interlude would be too difficult for Neoliberal posters but if you mention Crecy or Agincourt they’ll probably blather something about the Hundred Years War. Deeply unserious understanders of History.

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

In fairness, I do think that the “one long war” thesis becomes less relevant when you step outside of Europe.

In Asia, WWII grew much more directly out of the second Sino-Japanese War, which is much more related to the long strand of Japanese imperialism towards mainland Asia than the outcome of WWI (though of course animosity at some of the outcomes of Versailles were relevant, I don’t think they were such a defining factor). In the Middle East, the collapse of the Ottoman Empire meant that the region went from one of the primary belligerents to somewhat of a sideshow. I’m sure someone more well versed in Africa and South America could also point out some differences between the wars.

• ComradePlatypus [fae/faer]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 days ago

I did always like the Second Thirty Years War for WW1, Russian Revolution,various failed revolutions, various Soviet wars and the foreign invasion of the USSR, Italian invasion of Abyssinia,the Spanish Civil War, Sino-Japanese war, WW2, post WW2 uprisings etc

• adultswim_antifa [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 days ago

It really is interesting how these people can skate by saying the USSR and Nazis had an alliance while I have to actually be knowledgeable about history and economics. I suppose I wouldn’t think what I do if I weren’t knowledgeable. I would probably think what they think.

• pearable@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

The USSR also tried to form alliances with the Allies but we’re rejected. Nazi Germany was very much their last choice despite being invaded by many of the Allies during the Russian Civil War

• Tachanka [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

yes and I wouldn’t really say nazi germany was a “choice” for an ally, or even an “ally,” the soviets were, again, stalling, buying time, and pretty much knew germany was eventually going to invade them, since hitler had spent the previous 19 years screeching into microphones about “judeobolshevism” and “the slavic untermensch” and the need for “lebensraum”