• CuriousRefugee@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

I don’t usually wear dress shirts to work except for big presentations, but how on earth does it only take you two minutes? Are you only counting active time ironing? Or ironing 10 shirts in one session and giving the per-shirt average?

Start to finish, from getting out the iron, plugging in to start up, setting up my ironing board and laying out a shirt, waiting to heat up, ironing the shirt plus flipping it around and ironing again, then putting everything away after the iron cools down, it’s usually like 15-20 minutes for me. Maybe you can do something else when the iron is heating up, but it still seems like at least 10-15 minutes. Still a short enough period to not be a huge hassle once a week, but way too much to do every morning.

• GiveMemes@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

It really isn’t that hard. It takes about 3-4 mins to iron a dress shirt to look pretty damn good compared to doing nothing for it at all not including the time for the iron to heat up. I also save time by using the steam button heavily and not being afraid to throw on a slightly damp and warm shirt. Still, when I decide to change my shirt right before I’m walking out the door and I only have 10 mins or I’m gonna miss my train I still always have time to throw the iron on and give it a once-over. Like yeah if you want all your garments absolutely perfectly ironed it might take a little longer, but you might just not have the technique down from lack of practice. For the record I’m gen z so idk if I’m just weird or if the meme is maybe not as universal as some think.

• frickineh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

I leave the whole thing set up in the guest room so I don’t have to mess with it, and I’m a woman, so most of my dressier tops are less complicated than a men’s button-down. I plug it in, wash my face, and it’s ready to go, and it really is only about 2 minutes to actually iron. Maybe twice that if it’s a particularly finicky fabric (which I’m slowly eliminating from my wardrobe).

• uis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Or ironing 10 shirts in one session and giving the per-shirt average?

Or also have chad 230V iron instead of weak 120V.