• A US Navy nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarine surfaced in the Norwegian Sea.
  • It was accompanied by a guided-missile cruiser and two naval aircraft.
  • The show of force came weeks after Russia sent a submarine and naval fleet to Cuba.
  • givesomefucks@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 days ago

Let me know what we should do and I will be there.

I used to say “vote in the primaries”

But with the way the DNC has been acting, that’s not enough anymore.

The solution isn’t easy, and it won’t be quick.

But the first step is Dem voters having higher standards than “not a Republican”.

If you think it’s too late now, then it’s going to be too late in every future election.

The sad thing is climate change will take us out and cause more suffering than a true WW3 will ever do

Same solution.

Politicians don’t have to be terrible, they can look out for citizens. But unless voters have standards, we’ll keep settling for corrupt pieces of shit.

• Fire Witch@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 days ago

But the first step is Dem voters having higher standards than “not a Republican”.

The prerequisite to that is to dismantle the NRA and purge the Republican party from power by vote or by force so they can’t ever back another Hitler wannabe again. Then we can talk policy.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

Lets say you’re a firefighter.

You get called to 100 America Street.

You show up and that house is burnt down. It’s just smoldering ruins. But 102 America St is still standing, their garage is on fire tho

Would you try to save 102? Or spray water on the remains of 100?

By the time 100 is completely extinguished, 102 might be too far gone.

So I’m saying ignore the lost cause for now. And focus on saving the only other house on the street.

• Fire Witch@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Your example hinges on the implication that 100 America Street (ie the Republican Party) is stable and unable to cause further harm. In reality, 100 America Street is a blazing inferno, has billionaires in white hoods tossing cans of gasoline at it, and houses tons of high explosives that will absolutely level the entire neighborhood if/when it goes off.

Ignoring 100 to piss on 102 is only going to make a bad situation much, much, much worse. And at this point in time, one can’t help but wonder whether anyone distracting from 100 America Street is doing so out of ignorance or malice.

• lordnikon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

i agree with all of that but everything you have listed is voting which I already said you should do without question and really should be the bare minimum of civic duty and as you have said not very effective. Plus that only affects domestic policy and you have to change a lot of domestic policy to even scratch the surface of changing foreign policy.

By no means am I saying give up but the more you look at foreign policy and spend your mental capacity. The more they distract you from changing the local that will change very slowly the domestic that will change the foreign. the powers at be want you terrified of the things you can’t change to distract you from the things you can. so they stay in power.

It’s the same thing with terrorism conventional warfare doesn’t work against an irregular force. It takes slow moves at a very local level like like we leaned from FM 3-23 assuming you are US military, forgive me if you already not.