• SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Kinda what the UK does, too, isn’t it? I think I’m starting to understand why the tradition persists. Decoy monarch.

• Swedneck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

sort of, almost

the UK monarch has a bit more power/freedom, like the current king has pushed for people to eat more lamb and stuff which is… a bit strange for a figurehead to do. Like it’d be less weird if he’d pushed for better healthcare or something…

I don’t think the UK monarch is bad as it stands, but i think the position could do with a bit more neutering.

Anyways the actual political system in the UK is a way bigger issue, it’s a god damn clown show on every level and it’s a minor miracle that people managed to vote for a PM that seems vaguely reasonable.

• Swedneck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

i have no strong feelings one way or the other, i just don’t think the figurehead of a nation should be shilling a specific kind of product.

they should be utterly boring and inoffensive, their job is to be boring and inoffensive and refrain from uttering anything vaguely political or controversial.