• numberfour002@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Distaste for crocs just strikes me as a stupid fad and I don’t even wear regular crocs. I do like the crocs flip flops that are single piece construction because they last an order of magnitude longer than standard flip flops and the plastic material they are made of of is easy to clean and doesn’t hold odor like so many other types of materials that flip flops and sandals are made of.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think it’s just a reactionary backlash to their popularity. It’s the fact they suddenly showed up everywhere all at once, were something new that departed sufficiently from older flip flop designs and created a divide in taste. I fell into that trap myself but we buy them for our kid and they’re awesome! My next flip flops when my current ones die will probably be crocs. I wouldn’t wear them anywhere I wouldn’t wear flip flops though.

• atx_aquarian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I had some and couldn’t stand them. The material would pull my foot hair, and they reminded me of orange peanut candy. And the squishiness didn’t feel foot-shaped, to me. It just felt like mush. I need arch support and a firm platform. So I hate on them because they strike me as foam toys rather than shoes.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

But what if you don’t compare them to shoes but just to flip flops?

• atx_aquarian@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

Fair point, I actually mainly wore flip flops and preferred Reef and now Ulukai Olukai. Those checked almost all my boxes, though none of those give a firm enough platform compared to good walking shoes, so I shouldn’t hold that point against Crocs.

Edit: I mixed up Olukai shoes with Ukla Uukha archery gear, oops.

Edit 2: I mixed up Uukha with Ookla. /facepalm

• sem@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

It sounds like you don’t prefer wearing them but you don’t have a problem with other people wearing them