• Dremor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Not all of them. Unfortunately my only property isn’t adaptable for disabled people beside what we already installed for my grandmother (handlebars, things like that). It was built in the 50s 😅.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

I did expect that, I was kinda giving the stick to beat me. But I’d have liked if those who downvoted me could give me pointers on how to improve myself as a landlord.

• ObliviousEnlightenment@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Put in the effort to make it more accessible, maybe charge more on the deposit if you absolutely have to financially; but eating the cost would be preferable because people dont choose to be disabled. Oh, and have a real job, so your living isnt just leeching off tenants.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

So being a Dev isn’t a real job? I suppose a lot of people here would feel insulted.
              What I earn from my grandmother home goes to a special account used for the apartment repairs, improvement, and taxes.
              Actually, as we upgraded it a lot those last years (redid the all the electricity, paint, windows and the south side isolation), I’m actually still 70k+ in debt, which will take me arround 10 years to resorb.

But sure, I’m leeching off my tenant, if you say so.

• ObliviousEnlightenment@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

You asked for advice, I gave general advice. Im not gonna assume those because thats not most landlords. Good for you on being an exception ig

• fine_sandy_bottom
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Terrible advice. This just increases the cost of the dwelling for everyone including those that don’t really need disabled access.

• ASeriesOfPoorChoices@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

supposedly, the only acceptable answer on Lemmy is “give your house away for free”. Not even joking a little.

Everyone should be able to own their own house for free, and renting shouldn’t exist. Apparently.

This is not a site/network for nuance or discussion. It’s a place for autists to scream communism and linux at each other. 🤷‍♂️ Or something like that.

As for pointers - you’re probably fine as long as the roof isn’t leaking.

• Dremor@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

There are a lot more to it than just a roof without leaks. Add to that a decent isolation, water and electrical installations that are conform to an ever evolving norm, basic equipments (and some facultative ones) in working order.
              Honestly when I hear some horror stories about some of the worst rental houses, I’m as angry as anyone here. But I find unfortunate that some of my fellow leftist prefer to caricature instead of trying to understand that not every landlord is a money hungry bastard 😅.
              My house was my grandma house, I just happened to be the next one in charge of keeping it in a decent state.

• ASeriesOfPoorChoices@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

re:roof

“in charge of keeping it in a decent state”

that is exactly, literally what I meant, with less joking. And there’s the autism in Lemmy coming through again.