• SavvyWolf@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

My mum (who tbh is honestly otherwise really kind and understanding) once made fun of me being into “video game music” to some of her friends.

I’m only just now getting back into listening to music and trying to figure out what I like, rather than avoiding listening to new music at all.

• r3df0x ✡️✝☪️@7.62x54r.ru
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I recently listened to a former atheist talk about coming to an Islamic conclusion while on DMT about music being bad because it’s a cheap way of trying to replicate a spiritual experience, similar to the use of DMT for recreational use. It’s not always bad because in art it can be used to convey what the creator is trying to get across, but sitting around listening to music could certainly be negative. The guy said this in the video well, but engaging in mystical spiritual experiences for its own sake will ultimately lead nowhere and leads people to retreat into their own heads and accomplish nothing in the world and become reclusive.

• aramis87@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Nah, I decided not to hide. I got targeted too, but the nice thing is that I learned (really young!) not to care what other people thought of me. Which sucked at the time, yeah, but was incredibly liberating as I grew older.

• jabathekek@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Nah, it’s just that they didn’t care because I wasn’t genetically related to my dad. What I did learn to hide was my emotions because I would be berated if I was anything but happy.

• finkrat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I couldn’t hide it, gaming was a very hard special interest and hyperfixation, I literally grew up in a console gaming golden age too (early-to-mid 90’s kid so 4th and 5th generation consoles, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Sony Playstation, Nintendo 64, arcade transitioning to 3D as a standard, etc.) so there was no escaping it from anyone

And yes I got made fun of, mostly by classmates but I got some family teasing too

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I had the less popular choices with the Saturn and Dreamcast, which didn’t help.

• finkrat@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

They were great though, I owned those two later on and still have a Saturn, some absolute gems for those systems

• moonbunny@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I had the lovely combo of getting mocked and ridiculed by both “friends” and “family” for sharing my tastes and interests, and now I struggle to share them with people and in spaces that seem safe, but my stupid fear and anxiety keeps me from reaching out 😅

• Halasham@dormi.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Normal is extremely overrated, and so are the opinions of most people. I can’t recall being especially concerned with the opinions of strangers or enemies.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I never realized it was something I was supposed to hide or be ashamed of untill I got older. By then I just no-longer cared.

• Boomkop3@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

That’s perfectly normal when you’re bullied, made to be the black sheep and ridiculed by family.

I’m doing better on my own now

• Murdoc@social.vivaldi.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

@EmperorHenry Not really. Some of my earliest #SpecialInterests came from my oldest brother, like astronomy, sci-fi, and computers. My love of music came from my oldest sister. Story is that I could sing before I could talk. And my mother was usually pretty supportive of my interests, even the weird ones. E.g., once when I was at a vampire #larp , she ordered a bunch of kfc from home without my knowledge, had it delivered to where we were playing (city hall incidentally), under my character’s name. Everyone found it hilarious.
    Another time she bought me a coffin to use as a coffee table because I had told her about Charles Addams using an embalming slab for same. It’s still my coffee table to this day.
    Lots of fun stories like that I could tell. But that’s not to say that my unrecognised #AuDHD didn’t cause us both problems. Lots of unfun stories there too. Just saying that as far as interests went, I guess I was pretty lucky.