I’m not sure what’s going on over there, but half the time I see a post from there or go into a comment section and it’s just…bad. Like old reddit the_donald bad. Constant trolling, etc. You TS just really bad vibes. I’ve been blocking the communities as they come up, but I’m not sure what else I can do.

• NormalC@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

They also support Cuba, a nation with the most queer affirming family code in the entire world.

China has slowly been making life easier for queer people in the same fashion as the US (slow, very gradual changes decriminalization for example)

By this logic the EU is explicitly anti-queer because Poland is an EU member state which houses the most regressive policies in the entire world (“lgbt-free zones”) Yet Poland is not sanctioned, nor cut off from the EU.

The US has hundreds of anti-trans bills and the supreme court recently struck down legal protections for queer people (this case was also entirely fabricated to game the court system). Florida exists.

Not to mention the solidarity we should show to queer people across the globe. Pinkwashing history is not a solution.

• Tavarin@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Poland should be ousted from the EU for it’s horrid treatment of queer people, and the US is a strange mix since it’s mostly up to each state, and some states are horrible fucking cesspits that should not be supported in anyway (looking at you Florida).

If they only supported Cuba that would be okay. But China and Russia, fuck no.

• NormalC@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s not “support” however. It’s just a discussion and news outlet for what’s happening outside of the direct US sphere of influence with like minded communists. My point being is that you can rarely pick and choose countries because queer liberation is always ongoing and multifaceted.

In any case, this isn’t grounds for defederation in my opinion. Simply block the communities as you see them or don’t engage.

• yetAnotherUser@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Wait, how does Poland have the most regressive policies in the entire world when there are countries with the death penalty for LGBT people? Maybe they have the worst policies in Europe, but Hungary, Russia and Türkiye seem equally as regressive, if not more.