• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I agree with all of this except what you said about Hank Hill… I think he would be very uncomfortable at first, then get to know them on a personal level, and then become cautiously accepting by the end of the episode.

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

And while King of the Hill features a bunch of right wing characters, I don’t think I’d consider the show itself right-leaning. It respected its characters but also constantly made fun of them regarding their beliefs. Like when Hank would say Bobby isn’t alright, I didn’t get the impression that’s what the show wanted to say; the show respected Bobby as much as it did Hank. And Peggy and Luanne.

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

True, but there were plenty of episodes where Hank Hill is shown being in the right for combating “New-fangled Liberal Nonsense”, like the episode where they ban transfats to be more like NYC, or the episode where he finds it disrespectful to tone down the details of “The Alamo”… There are also plenty of episodes where the opposite happens and Hank realizes he is indeed stuck in the past and the ideals he holds close are not best for everyone, or maybe even anyone.(Like when he realizes an overly strict parent of boy scouts is overly strict for a reason, or when he realizes that growing roses is a legitimate sport that requires practice and discipline)

• Ragnarok314159@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

It’s because of Hank’s character. Take “The Alamo” episode. That is very much a Texas thing and he will die on that hill even if it’s wrong, but it also doesn’t really harm people to the extent that hating gay people harms people.

When it comes to the issues that causes society to turn on each other Hank often takes the approach of “you need to leave people alone and let them live even if you don’t like it” tactic, because that is what he wants for himself.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Similar, but also remember that by the 10th season ole Hank was a lot more open minded than when the show started lol

• Queen HawlSera@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Hank never hated Khan for the color of his skin, but because the guy was a jackass. With the conflict being that Hank wasn’t actually allowed to be the slightest bit disrespectful to him because Khan was the one non-white guy on the block.