There are solutions like ente and immich but I think they both are pretty overkill for my use case. I almost never look through my old photos so I don’t need an app and a web UI or whatever. The face detection thing does not entice me either. I don’t need encryption either.

Is there a simpler solution for this? I am thinking of just writing a script that syncs the camera folder using adb or something like that. But before I create a jank monstrosity I thought it would be better to ask around.

• tinsukE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Syncthing.

Just configure it to only run while plugged to the wall, so you’re not surprised by the rare bug of it randomly turning your phone into a pocket warmer.

• lemonuri@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I use Syncthing-fork (fdroid). It lets you set you granular per folder settings like only sync on home WiFi.

• jet@hackertalks.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

You can also configure one way syncs. So even if the photos are deleted from your phone, they still exist on the other side

• Klaymore@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Huh, I’ve had it run on battery for years, is there some serious bug with that? I don’t have it run on cellular data or in battery saver mode though.

• tinsukE@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I had it initially setup to run on Wi-Fi too, battery or charging.

Then I had my battery drain to 30-40% during afternoons, when I’m used to reaching evenings above 60%. Check app usage on settings: Syncthing.

Since I use it mostly for backing up photos, I found it better to enable it only when charging.