• couragethebravedog@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s looking like Linus should have taken that $100 million offer he got and left when he had the chance.

• Zink@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I get that some people like working, and that business founders can be very emotionally invested in their baby.

But to imagine having $100 million waved in my face and saying “nah, I think I’ll just wake up and go to work tomorrow” is crazy to me. But I guess you can’t be a billionaire if you “settle” for nine figures and an absurdly comfortable life with nothing but free time to find new interests and see the world.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I don’t think he works “traditionally” as he is essentially the sole founder and CEO. He’s the centre piece but it’s not like you’re actually “going to work” but rather building something. That doesn’t make the $100 an escape but more as an offer for someone to take what you built all this time and saying later.

A good analogy is walking your dog, that you cherish, and someone offers to buy him right there.

• ours@lemmy.film
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Even if you like working. Taking those $100 million means you and your family will, for generations not have to worry about work. You can take the money and still work like a madman by either making a new venture or doing charity.

But I guess for some people it’s more about the power than the money.

• jwagner7813@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That company is probably worth way more then that. Or at least could be. So if you’re even remotely prideful, you probably think that’s a slap in the face.