• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

When I was in grad school, a bunch of us were at the house of a guy with an invisible fence for his dog. Someone wondered if it was cruel and that led to each of the grad students there except me putting on the dog’s collar and then crossing the fence. (The consensus was that it really hurts, but it isn’t agonizing.) At the time I knew that not shocking myself was, in some sense, the smart thing to do, but in retrospect I regret being a boring dork.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I once voluntarily shocked myself with a dog collar at a party. It was kind of fun, so I did it about 20 more times and shocked other people with it too. In my defense, I was drunk.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

If you ever find a regular electric fence, it hurts way worse if you aren’t wearing shoes. Just FYI.

• smort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

We would sit around the fire pit taking turns zapping ourselves with the electric fly swatter. Good times!

• Jessica
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

It allegedly hurts you much more than them due to differences in skin thickness and moisture as well as them having a load of hair in the way