• ditty@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Things just got reeeeeeaaaallllly interesting. Who will the candidate be? Harris? And who will their running mate be? So close to the election… when will this rollercoaster end?

• disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Harris is the only candidate that has access to the existing campaign funds. As AOC pointed out, there are only eight weeks until early voting ballots are sent out. That’s not enough time for someone else to fundraise and run a successful campaign unless the candidate is independently wealthy.

• cabbage@piefed.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

In a lot of countries, heads of state are derived from parliament, so people vote for parties and platforms rather than people. The fixation on individuals is a bit of a weird quirk of the US system.

In France they also elect their president directly, but it is not exactly a short election cycle, with two rounds of elections: If no candidate receives 50% of the vote in the first round, the two candidates leading the race advance to a second stage and people have to vote all over again. And then the new president generally dissolves the parliament, unleashing two new elections with a similar procedure on the more local level.

I am so happy to be voting in proportional representation systems.

• ripcord@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

It’s going to be Harris.

But I hope it’s someone else.

I don’t have anything against Kamala and I think she’d be better than Biden. But democrats really need someone they can get excited about. Not having that is why they lost 2016, and why 2020 was as close as it was.

• fluxion@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Fortunately Biden is the one candidate that can possibly make people excited about Kamala. Now it’s up to her to not completely fuck it up… which unfortunately is not a given seeing how badly the debates went

• John Richard@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Don’t know yet. Still trying to read what was said. I hope they leave it open to the delegates to decide at the convention.

• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Mother fucker should’ve ran. The Democrats couldn’t held a primary and we would have had a chance. This last minute drop out just fucks us. Biden doesn’t care he will be dead soon. What a fucking mess. While the GOP have time to campaign and are ready for November the Democrats will need to even figure out who to run and what if they can’t get on the ballot in key states. Isn’t there deadlines that have passed?

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

No, no deadlines have passed. Ohio extended the deadline already. An open convention will energize the party. Biden not stepping aside was the last thing holding Democrats back from crushing Trump in November.

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

I’m so very glad to see him stop embarrassing himself. It was just so cringe and, far more importantly, he was likely to completely destroy the Democratic Party - possibly forever, given the stakes in this year’s election.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

This precisely. He was hurting the Democrats. The time to reflect about Biden is after beating Trump in November. The more time Democrats spend praising Biden now, the more they are going to hurt their chances of victory.

• ThatOneKrazyKaptain@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Assuming the new candidate(probably Harris) avoid any major disasters as does Trump, we’ll be returning to the May 2024 status quo of things. Harris is more popular than post-debate Biden, was slightly behind pre-debate Biden, and will probably need a month to get back there(winning the nomination and undoing all the damage from 4 weeks of infighting.)

On the plus side, that’ll drop the hemorrhaging, New Mexico and New Jersey safe, Virginia and Minnesota probably safe. On the downside at this point Georgia and North Carolina are lost, there just isn’t time and the Republicans spent 4 years pouring resources into them.

This is back to the main 5. Arizona, Nevada, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. The important factor is that if they lose Pennsylvania, they lose. They can win the other 4 here, but it’s 268-270. Unless they snag something extra like Georgia(unlikely in this scenario), that’s it.

If they win Pennsylvania, they need at least two others in ideal circumstances(Michigan needs to be one of the two and Nevada can’t be one of the two, second one would have to be Wisconsin or Arizona), 3 others in unideal circumstances if Michigan isn’t there and they get Nevada. I should also note several of these scenarios are razor thin (270-268 with Pensylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin and 271-267 with Arizona instead) and thus vulnerable to faithless electors. Or worse, if Maine’s statewide went red(which is more likely than Georgia going blue or Virginia going red at this point) the former would be a win and the latter would be a tie. In the tie scenario the House picks the president(so Trump) and the Senate picks the Vice President(so Vance would be ousted) which would be an absolute nightmare and gambling on Trump dying in that situation isn’t worth it.

I note this because even in the base line May scenario Pennsylvania was one of the worse polling one for democrats(Arizona and Wisconsin were the blue edging ones), and Pennsylvania is not a state where the stars are aligning. It was Biden’s home state, Scranton boy, him being off the ticket hurts things there probably more than they help. AND, while it’s true nationwide the post-shooting bump for Trump was relatively minor, Pennsylvania is where the shooting happened and has gotten the largest bump in the polls since, 3 or 4 points. Biden leaving demotivates the base there harder than anywhere else in the county and the Trump shooting re-motivated the base there harder than most.

My call? If they don’t pick Shapiro or Whitmer, it’s over 100%, and even with it’s iffy. Pennsylvania is perhaps the one state where any replacement is going to do worse than Biden even post-debate, and the one state the Trump shooting caused a notable bump. What are the odds it’s also the single most crucial state in this election?

• khannie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s fairly grim reading but I appreciate the depth of it for a foreigner so thank you.

• meep_launcher@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Personally if it were my magic wand, we would nominate the 🥾 (Buttigieg)

He would STOMP that orange.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

He may very well. I hope that he challenges Harris and that they have a couple debates or make their arguments on a livestream. That would be good for America to hear their platforms and share their opinions about who they think the stronger candidate is.

• neidu2@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

She’s self-centered enough to believe that it’s a sign. But no, I think even the DNC understands that it’d be a bad idea.

On a related note, wouldn’t it be the ultimate political punchline if trump ended up losing to her?

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Oh my gawd, I’d so love to see that happen, if I’m being honest. I just don’t think she could win, or would actually run, but who knows.

Seeing all the memes of cons trying cope would be like manna from heaven.

• neidu2@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Well, I half-expected to be stabbed in the eye across the internet, but instead I got (at the time of making this comment) just one downvote instead, so it didn’t turn out too bad.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Odd question, if it’s only been posted on x, who’s to say it wasn’t hacked?

Edit: by now it’s been corroborated bunches of ways, I just wanted to stop and think. X is owned by a manbaby that isn’t beyond messing with the database for their own gain, and they did donate a bunch to the opposition.

X is just a dumb.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I can almost guarantee with it being the top story on all major news sites that they’ve received some confirmation. If not when majority of Democrats wanted him to drop out, if he insists he was hacked & is staying in… He’ll lose even more voters.

• Tolookah
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

With how hot the media has been for getting him to drop out, I’d even accept one of the articles to say out loud that they’ve confirmed the post.

My dislike of x might be showing a bit.

• wreel@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t really get the down votes. They genuinely said it was an odd question and this election cycle is already fucking weird.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

That’s a very good question, I’ve been searching high and low for sources, but the only source at this writing remain the post on the thing formerly known as twitter, which IMO is decidedly irresponsible, as that’s a notoriously unreliable source.
      It would be nice if at least some journalists wrote if they had the story confirmed.

• ReallyActuallyFrankenstein@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yep. Harris is a traditional, middle-of-the-road milquetoast politician. She’s probably too conservative for progressives and regardless of her positions will be painted as a flaming lefty by conservative media. She will probably have similar results to Biden, who was until now on track to lose.

I hope that she gains some superhuman self-awareness and takes some risks with actual progressive politics - she’ll get bad press from the Fox echo chamber, but right now she needs any press to get voters to pay attention.

• LavenderDay3544@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Harris is a self-serving prosecutor who routinely oversentenced people to private prison just to boost her political career.

She was the most tone deaf choice in the wake of the Floyd murder and BLM protests, her skin color notwithstanding.

• Hackworth@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Can she string two sentences together? I don’t think you realize how low the bar’s fallen, buddy.

• p5yk0t1km1r4ge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That’s it, we’re done. I’m still voting, but we are fucked. Dems just gave the white house to Trump. Free.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Biden was giving Trump the White House for free. Joe should have dropped out two weeks ago when it was obvious he was going to lose to Trump.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              2 months ago

he didn’t have to do it?

Really? Is democracy on the line or isn’t it? He had to do it cause he was going to lose to Trump and throw the House & Senate to MAGA. Biden doesn’t have to not push the nuclear launch buttons before he leaves office. Yay Joe, you are so selfless for not pushing the nuclear launch buttons. You could have, but major props for being so selfless for not doing it.

• Is democracy on the line or isn’t it?

Sure it is. But there’s no guarantee Kamala can seal the deal. A change this late in the race is hugely risky. Only 14% of elected Democrats were asking him to step down; he still has the backing of the majority, despite what you heard in mainstream media.

I don’t know if he flipped a coin, or just had no more fucks to give. Maybe he was just tired. But there’s no guarantee any Democrat has a better chance at winning than he did, and plenty of risk in stepping back. Trump had been slowly but steadily been slipping in the polls since his rally; odds were against Joe, but three months and some better luck and it wasn’t an impossible comeback. Fuck, nobody thought Crazy Don had any chance of winning against Hillary, even into election night news outlets were reporting polling her as an easy win.

So, to answer your original question,

Really?

Yes, really.

• elbucho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

lol:

“we’re so fucked if he runs!”