The world didn’t used to be like this. A busninesses reputation was built on how it treated its customers, and Americans demanded and got quality products and services at a price normal people could afford.

Now every FUCKDAMN restaurant wants a 30% tip, and now I’m getting PRESSURED TO TIP THE CASHIER AT A GAS STATION?!

Look I get it, times are tough and those people deserve more BUT IT SHOULD COME FROM THE VAST UNCHECKED PROFITS OF THE COMPANY THAT THEY ALLOW TO EXIST!

But NooOOoow we’ve NORMALIZED customer abuse and dark patterns, we just ‘oh gee damn’ extra fees and not owning anything.

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO LET US LIE BACK AND TAKE THIS?!

• Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Because you guys accept it.

Back in 2003, I worked at a grocery store. Its a regional chain, and the owner of the chain came in, treated me like shit, and left while my supervisors followed him around kissing his ass. I quit on the spot, and haven’t been back to his store since.

Sony and Microsoft decided to charge for digital games. Same price as the physical. Not only do you NOT own these games, but you also have to pay for online now. And now XBox is trying to raise their prices. Even Nintendo started charging.

I don’t pay for online. I don’t buy digital, and now, as an extra fuck you, I only buy used copies. That way the developers get nothing.

I don’t pay for Hulu, or Netflix, or any other streaming platform. Instead I have a HUGE collection of DVDs.

I want to physically own the things I buy. I heard Sony just cancelled some peoples digital movies that they paid money for.

Fuuuuuuuck that. I will never pay sony a dime for any digital service. But all of you do. Everybody else is voting with their wallet. DVD sales are near non-existant to the point best buy no longer even carries them.

For anyone who has shelves and shelves of DVDs, this doesn’t apply to you. But do know that you’re less than 1% of society. People think I’m crazy for owning PS2 games, and DVDs.

But then these publishers want to re-release 20+ year old games. Fuck that. I already bought them 20 years ago!

And I NEVER tip these people who have historically never been tipped. I come into an ice cream parlor, and uou scoop 3-4 scoops into a bowl, cover it in toppings, and now I’m expected to tip $3 on a $8 purchase that took 1 minute to prepare??? FUCK THAT!!!

I’ll tip the waiter, who on average is in charge of being responsible for an entire room worth of tables at once, and each table is 45-60 minutes of time serving them. Thats hard work. And I tip those people. That I get. However if they try that trick on me where they wait until I get a bite of food to ask how I am, I will put the finger up sign, as if to say “give me a minute”, and when I have chewed and swallowed at my own pace THEN I’ll say “I’m fine, thank you”. I’ve noticed that they stopped doing that at resteraunts I frequent. Because waiters do that intentionally, so you can’t ask for things, and they have a faster time. So by slowing them down past what they otherwise normally would have, they learn its faster to ask you when you’re not face-full into a burger.

• Angry_Autist (he/him)@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t know who you think ‘you guys’ are, but I can barely afford to pay attention and have vegetarian days at least three times a week due to budget constraints.

Sure there are a fucktonne of other people with disposable money that can just not care about a 20% increase in their cellphone bill for nebulous reasons.

For mea that means I don’t have gas for work, so no I get on the phone and argue till they reverse it.

ALMOST NO ONE DOES THIS

So, when you say ‘you guys’ know your target audience.

• littleblue✨@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

“Vegetarian days”?

Do you know how privileged that sounds? That’s what most of the entire world considers normal, or even lucky, and you’re up in arms because the privilege you’ve grown accustomed to is being sapped by others for their own gain?

Wake the fuck up, white boy. You were never any different in the eyes of your owners.

edit: Silly me, forgetting what “majority rule” means. My bad, brah.

• thallamabond@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

When it comes to capitalism, you vote with your wallet. While you might not always get to choose where your money goes, when you can you should try.

My examples: haven’t bought from Amazon in a decade, and quit Twitter and Reddit over their API crap (I believe my time online is valuable)

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Oh I agree but in my case, I will not assume yours, my entire economic voting power can be completely undone by an order of magnitude from one trust fund kiddies party weekend.

With the economy being what it is, I have near zero discretionary money and my brand choices are limited by cost pressure so as much as I want to boycott most of the big 4 food conglomerates, sometimes that means not eating for a few days.

If we were in our grandparent’s economy, these companies would be FIGHTING for our dollars, but now we are basically captured cows being milked in increasingly more cruel and nuanced ways.

And I don’t see a way out of it without tearing down capitalism completely.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Fucking preach!

I think that’s why Buddhists go so hard for the ascetic lifestyle. Sometimes comfort isn’t the most important thing to prioritize.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Oh man I wish social interaction for me was as easy and carefree as you!

See, that’s not how it works with my fucked self-sacrificing aspie brain.

I get to the counter, I look at the tip prompt, I look at the cashier. He’s tired, of course he is, retail sucks. He’s underpaid, because of course he is, and he doesn’t want to be there. I’ve worked retail and most of it was hell.

And I’m nothing, not even worth existing. So it’s a moral good to give him a little extra. He could use it more than me, honestly. What am I even doing except just existing long enough to get the next paycheck?

Plus if I save it, it’ll probably just get burned later in an emergency, so I really should give him a big tip.

It’ll probably make him smile, make his life easier a bit. Everyone deserves that. Except me of course, so I’ll just go ahead and tip this guy 50%.

And I walk out, poorer and more exhausted, and even more determined not to leave my house again until I absolutely have to.

Welcome to my day, fun isn’t it?

• ikidd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Hint: the guy you’re looking at ain’t getting the tip, anyway. That makes it way easier.

• toomanypancakes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

For what it’s worth, you aren’t nothing, and you’re absolutely worth existing. I can’t help the brain, but I just want you to know you’re completely deserving of happiness. Negative self talk is really hard to stop, but those beliefs are worth trying to challenge. You’re far more wonderful than you think 💜

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I appreciate it and on a certain conscious level know it to be true but that doesn’t matter 95% of the time in my everyday thinking. And it isn’t really negative self talk as much as it is a reasonable assessment.

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Someone figured out that no matter what kind of business it is if you put a line on the receipt for a tip like 90% of people just will leave a tip because they’re too embarrassed to look cheap.

When we see something on a receipt requesting a tip most of us assume everyone else is leaving a tip too and that we’ll be judged if we don’t leave one ourselves.

Once one place stated doing it they all started doing it, because no one has yet told them they can’t and it’s basically free money to them.