The cost of simply retrieving an answer from the Web is infinitely smaller than the cost of generating a new one.

Great interview with Sasha Luccioni from Huggingface on all the ways that using generative AI for everything is both a) hugely costly compared to existing methods, and b) insane.

• BlackLaZoR@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

What, you want to tell me I’m somehow obligated to exactly know where and how every service I use is produced?

Talk about a horrible take.

• flere-imsaho@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

it’s not “hating your post history”, it’s just realisation that you’re a shitty debatelord and talking to you is waste of time.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

it’s not “hating your post history”

it has been [0] days since I got accused of having emotions about a driveby poster

how rude

(e: not that you did it ofc, flere, but ykwim)

• BlackLaZoR@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

And yet you’re talking to me… To prove some point perhaps? Feel free to ignore or block me if you don’t like my posts.

• skillissuer
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

i wanted to know how did you know, then i looked up his comment history on kbin and i wish i didn’t (he extruded three more comments before he clocked that he’s banned)

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

a hunch, really: i’ve met the type and had my suspicions, and then i’ve found that he posted the link about polish antitrust & consumer protection watchdog fining paypal, which is generally niche outside poland.

• skillissuer
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

i’ve seen that too but the final giveaway was this fucking thing:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )つ──☆*:・

from the last comment on awful (after ban)

• skillissuer
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

btw i strongly suspect that there’s a way to tell native language of poster by style of writing and specific kinds of grammar mistakes

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

misiu kolorowy

huh, first time I run across this (although admittedly my polish is dangerously-seat-of-pants)

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

long, boring explanation follows

spoiler

there’s an informal mode of address that conveys the (one-sided, frequently) sense of familiarity, which goes [2nd person singular] [noun in vocative case] [adjective referring to the noun], like panie szanowny (lit. esteemed sir, but the inversion from the adj + noun to noun + adj signals different mode; so “szanowny panie” is formal, “panie szanowny” is shortening distance or expressing annoyance); it can be used, and frequently is, as a phrase that’s a personal affectation (e.g. “królu złoty!”, literally “golden majesty”). the affectation is usually rather annoying.

on the other hand “misiu” (vocative case of diminutive word for “bear” or “bear cub” or “teddy bear”) is a common word of endearment.

so “misiu kolorowy” is a bit of a wordplay on both, and should generally convey serious lack of respect and clear annoyance. (i’m guilty of using this from time to time since the times of polish usenet.)

there’s an added bonus in that there was a popular child series “miś colargol”, the pronunciation of “colargol” and “kolorowy” are pleasantly alliterative. (now this really shows my age….)

• V0ldek@awful.systems
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  2 months ago

It’s when you want to say “kurwo jebana” but in a more polite, sophisticated way.

Think “bless your heart”.

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    2 months ago

yeah I got that from the explanation flere gave :)

Think “bless your heart”.

most polish (as in character/style) translation I’ve seen today