This Canadian sitcom was hastily assembled in 1970 to comply with upcoming Canadian content requirements and had an extremely limited budget for both time and money. 130 episodes of the series were produced, requiring scripts to be recycled from 1940s radio dramas, line mistakes to be kept in the finished product due to time and money constraints, and virtually the entire series shot from one small living-room set. As a result of the poor-quality end product, the series is often considered one of the worst of all time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sitcoms_known_for_negative_reception

• mad_asshatter@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I posted this on nostalgia a few weeks back and got dogpiled, so fuck it…
    Lemmy sometimes wants to be reddit.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Why did you get dogpiled over it? People were big fans or something? It’s just objectively terrible. The laugh track only comes in half-way through in the first episode.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Why is a mystery.
        If the first “vote” is down, there’s often no recovery: the lemmings lemming.

• Empricorn@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

That’s just not true. The first *vote can often be an early indication of what the general consensus is, but it absolutely doesn’t always skew that way.

• Makeitstop@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

This comment currently has a single downvote, which leads to a strange situation. If I upvote it, it becomes more true, and thus more worthy of an upvote. But if I downvote it, it becomes less true and therefore more deserving of a downvote.

• Makeitstop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I would be curious to see some actual data on how often this is the case. Which would be somewhat challenging to research since it would require separating the truly unpopular posts from the bandwagon effect posts. Sure, you can just look at early momentum, but that will be just as much a measure of how much divisive content is posted.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I actually watched this, as a kid.
    iirc, it aired in the afternoon (on ctv), and with limited channel selection (6 channels), it was the only station not showing a soap opera. It was so brutal (even for a Canadian show), our 12-year-old brains loved it!