• JellyfishGalaxy@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I mean, it didn’t happen due to all the hard work put in to fix the issue.

https://time.com/5752129/y2k-bug-history/

Kind of like how people are like, what ever happened to the hole in the ozone layer? The chemicals causing it were banned. I don’t think the concerns about what could have happened should be ignored, as what if no one put in the work, like they had? You know, kind of like climate change?

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The ozone layer one is still a work in progress. CFCs were banned, but HCFCs replaced them; they were less likely to make it up to the ozone layer in the first place, but did more damage once they got there. HCFCs have been/are being replaced, but many of the refrigerants and blowing agents that we currently use do damage the ozone layer, and replacements haven’t been found yet. BUT!, the point is, they’re still working on solving the problems that were created a hundred years ago, and still making progress.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

China seemed to have continued using the banned cfc’s. Chemical tracing satellites have picked up heavy concentrations over a couple areas there about 5 years ago.

After being called out on it, they did put a stop to it. They claim they were from illegal factories.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Ah, go figure! I should have looked that one up as well. Glad to hear they’re still working on it, maybe I’ll go read up on it more. Thanks for the info!

• MalReynolds@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Remember, remember!

The fifth of November,

The Gunpowder treason and plot;

I know of no reason

Why the Gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot!

People’s work to create democracy killed so many, and now, Trump. Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.

Could easily be lost. Not a USian, but their crap spills over…

• jmcs
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Sometimes shit like that makes me think software engineers should do a world wide strike on preparing for 2038, and let the Epochalypse happen.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I personally remember thinking the planes would be hard to control, like I never pictured just… oops, suddenly these wings don’t work with the laws of nature, straight down to the ground. I was a child when it all went down, so, I don’t remember if it was people actually saying it would happen, just over exaggerating, or what. Since some take things literally though, it should not have been put that way, I could definitely see it being fear mongering, and that’s not good.

There were things that could have been affected though, so one part being put wrong on purpose or not doesn’t mean, we should have ignored it.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

There was a lot of fear mongering. Y2K is actually when I realized that I can’t believe everything on the news. They kept reporting on it as an imminent threat for long after it was known that the engineers had patched the issue, and chances of problems were very low. As far as the planes go, the big threat was from air traffic control shutting down, and having thousands of planes in the air with no way to track all of them and safely route them in for landings. Plus there were concerns about navigation. So there were definitely issue, just not fall out of the sky issues.