• ohwhatfollyisman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

this is so my life it’s not funny. i’ve even quit binge-drinking without realising it.

i can’t afford 5-atar treatment anymore but i wake up every morning so much more at peace which, one can argue, is the best luxury of all.

• MNByChoice@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Pretty good message, well delivered. 3rd panel thought bubble for something that should be yelled bugs me. Distinct art style that helps encourage my inner artist. Nicely done.

• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I love this comic, because “never quit / never surrender” is one of the godamn stoopidest phrases in our culture.

How about: “Take a break, re-tool, gather yourself, ask yourself if this is what you really want, and if so, can our methodology and stress-relief be improved? Well then, well then!”

• BougieBirdie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Red Shirt confidently declares an absolute and is then upset to be contradicted. Maybe he has autism.

I’m sure when people say “quitters never win” they aren’t talking about quitting smoking, drinking, or other substances. But that’s the exact kind of rhetoric that people will use to justify staying in a toxic relationship or job.

We could all probably benefit from quitting more, because when when you quit the things that don’t matter, it leaves room for the things that do.

Anyway to sum up, if anybody has autism here, it’s probably me.

• Are_Euclidding_Me [e/em/eir]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

First of all, your comment is pretty ableist.

Second of all, these two distinct meanings you’re seeing aren’t so distinct, so I don’t at all think it’s a misunderstanding.

For an example that sits right between the two meanings you see as distinct, we can look at my struggle to finish my PhD. I should have quit 4 years ago with a master’s. I’d be in a much better spot economically, mentally, emotionally, basically in every way that matters. Sure, finishing my PhD was not as bad as staying in an abusive relationship or smoking a ton or partying way too hard way too often, but it’s closer to that than someone who believes “quitters never win” would like to admit. There are lots of times when it’s a way better idea to just quit while you’re ahead and do something more worthwhile that will actually make your life better rather than stick with something awful just because you don’t want to be a loser and quit.

• Quintus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I did not make this comment with ableist intentions but I now see how it can be viewed that way. I never educated myself on the disorders like the one I mentioned. That’s on me. After seeing how people reacted to my comment I took a step back did some thinking. To cut it short, I have now grabbed a book on autuism and will educate myself. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

My comment originated from my real life experiences where I felt annoyed by people twisting or misunderstanding my words to say something irrelevant. Seeing this comic made me remember those and caused me to comment without thinking. Again, I apologize from all of you.

• Quintus@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I did not make this comment with ableist intentions but I now see how it can be viewed that way. I never educated myself on the disorders like the one I mentioned. That’s on me. After seeing how people reacted to my comment I took a step back did some thinking. To cut it short, I have now grabbed a book on autuism and will educate myself. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

My comment originated from my real life experiences where I felt annoyed by people twisting or misunderstanding my words to say something irrelevant. Seeing this comic made me remember those and caused me to comment without thinking. Again, I apologize from all of you.