I found this satire piece to be absolutely delightful, capturing the potential rage that Hilary kept under wraps after it was announced that Trump won. It was a disappointing time, as that orange clown got the better of a far more fit person to serve in office.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That’s exactly it. I remember voicing the same concern in 2008 when she was running against Obama for the Democratic nomination. The Republican media machines have been spreading so much hate for her since the 90s that it has resulted in a general feeling of discomfort about her, even if you’re aware of it. That was in 2008 and it only has gotten worse since then.

• mipadaitu@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

AOC is going to have the same problem, I hope she has a plan to head it off.

Of course she’s much more likable naturally, so maybe it won’t work as well.

• NielsBohron@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Of course she’s much more likable naturally, so maybe it won’t work as well.

And AOC actually represents change and progress as opposed to being a bland, corporate liberal

• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

AOC only has her own political career to look after, so she’s free to choose to stay true to herself rather than change to try to accommodate those who hate her. Hillary was young in much more sexist times, and set her ambition on helping push Bill’s career rather than her own. So she had to adapt her look and persona in order to pass as the dutiful wife he needed in Arkansas. That established a tinge of falsehood she was never really able to shake, even when she embarked on her own career, especially after all of Bill’s shenanigans.

• macarthur_park@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Exactly! It’s been endlessly frustrating to see Clinton criticized for being inauthentic in the 2016 campaign, given the criticism she faced earlier in her career for not sufficiently playing the role of “spouse”.

During a debate before the Michigan and Illinois primaries, Bill was accused by a rival of delivering favorable contracts to his wife’s law firm during his tenure as governor of Arkansas, TIME reported. The comment rattled Hillary, resulting in her making a comment that provoked immediate backlash: “I suppose I could have stayed home, baked cookies and had teas,” she said, speaking of “the sort of thing that happens to women who have their own careers.”

Her comments outraged many American women into a fit of rage, as evidenced by theLetters section in the April 20, 1992, edition of TIME:

The response to her comment had plenty of ingredients and flavor but not much sweetness. For instance, there is the reaction of disaffected voter June Connerton of Princeton, N.J.: ‘’If I ever entertained the idea of voting for Bill Clinton, the smug bitchiness of his wife’s comment has nipped that notion in the bud.’’ Then add the annoyance of homemakers like Cindy Berg of La Crosse, Wis.: ‘’I resent the implication that those of us who stay at home just bake cookies. We hardly have the time!’’

She wound up having to participate in a cookie bake-off with Barbra Bush to smooth over her comment.