Job: cashier

Item doesn’t scan

Customer: “That means it’s free, right?”

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Only about 4 weeks in as a cashier and I’ve heard this enough to last me a lifetime.

• viralJ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I still think your promoting the view of “this is obvious to me so it should be obvious to everyone”. Even your explanation would be confusing for someone who’s not an IT guy - what does it mean “end my user session?” People rarely go to the start menu to deal with their computers’ “on-ness”, they just press the hardware button that has an incomplete circle with a line on top or often no marking or label at all. Or they close the lid and that makes them think of their laptop as “off”.

• Lettuce eat lettuce@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s not about being “obvious.” It’s about understanding the most basic concepts involved with using a piece of equipment that is central to their job and has been that way for decades.

I wouldn’t want ride in a car with somebody that couldn’t remember what the difference between red, yellow, and green traffic lights are, or couldn’t remember how to activate their turn signals or windshield wipers. And I certainly wouldn’t want them operating a vehicle as a core part of their everyday job.

Now I’ll grant that in general, a car is far more dangerous than a computer. But the principle still holds, these are not tough concepts to understand, takes literally 5 minutes to explain at most. Plus, they haven’t changed in at least 30 years, so it’s not some new fangled techno-babble.