• Quacksalber@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Eh, what is he supposed to do then? Creep around until she clocks out? Just give her the space and agency to disengage. Give her your number on a piece of paper. And don’t make it awkward if she doesn’t respond.

• brbposting@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

But don’t leave time for a response! Hand the paper over as you drop a one-liner (“would love to grab coffee sometime!”) on your way out.

Note to others:

A small fraction of the population will still have their days ruined even by such an unintrusive approach, but to ensure we never bother a single soul we’d need never to interact with anybody. We certainly have to be VERY careful with captive audiences which is why end-of-transaction + departure approaches are a necessity, whereas there’s no such mandate in a nightclub: they’ll have to deal with it if you offer to buy them a drink and, after declining, they still see you on the dance floor later.

You don’t want to absolutely restrict humanity from basic social interactions, and you don’t want to force humanity to offer a social response when they can’t leave from somewhere they’re being paid to be (with pressure to offer good service/be pleasant). There is a happy middle ground.

• OfCourseNot@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

This is the way to do it. I used to work retail and it worked with me twice, on the receiving end. As other commenter has said do it on your way out, it’s mortifying having to help a customer after/while they’re hitting on you, specially if you’re super shy as myself.

• cuerdo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

n? Creep around until she clocks out? Just give her the space and agency to disengage. Give her your number on a piece of paper. And don’t make it awkward if she doesn’t respond.

leave a note with your number and the greatest pickup line

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

To be honest … where? Third places are closing down, everyone is either at work or at home. So it’s either that or some shitty app.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

IMO, the best ways is through friends. Arrange game/movie nights, picnics, etc, and encourage people to invite their friends. Go with friends to local events, like library or city events, and try to say hi to at least a few new people. Go hiking and chat with others at the destination. Rinse and repeat.

It’s hard (esp. if you’re an introvert like I am), but that’s basically how everyone in my family met their SOs, except one who found their SO later in life through an app. Get outside your comfort zone and meet new people, and eventually you’ll meet someone you hit it off with. And IMO, don’t focus on their gender, just expand your friend circle and someone will have a friend or sibling of your preferred gender and orientation. Worst case scenario, you meet some interesting people.

• ℍ𝕂-𝟞𝟝@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

I got lucky, met my other half at uni, and I can’t imagine how shitty dating must be for people who weren’t as lucky as I am.

I see people meeting through apps, but I also see a whole bunch of unhappy people who don’t know how to meet other people.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

Yeah, I think apps are particularly awful because you’re there specifically to find romance, and if you don’t find it, there really is no consolation prize. If you go out and meet people, even if you don’t find romance, you’ll at least meet interesting people and maybe make a few friends.

So that’s why I recommend people avoid apps and instead force themselves into social situations.

• OneWomanCreamTeam@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Eh, it depends. If you’ve only ever had customer service interactions with them don’t. But if you’ve actually have a human dynamic it’s very different.

I have no end of creeps hitting on me at work. But there was this one customer who I would just chat with every time they came in. Nothing really flirty, but it was a really welcome distraction from work. Eventually they asked for my number, and it wasn’t weird at all. We even have a date planned tonight.

• pyre@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

should go without saying but also: don’t imply you’re going to chop them up and eat them either.

• secret300@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s what I’ve always lived by. But goddamn this dude at getgo is so hot. Haven’t said anything yet cause he working but ugh

• Asafum@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I can only speak for myself, but as a guy I would 100% love getting hit on by someone while I was at work.

But then again I literally never get hit on by anyone because basically I’m a balding peewee herman not much taller than Danny Devito so that might have something to do with it lol

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I would 100% love getting hit on by someone while I was at work. (…) I literally never get hit on by anyone

Same here. I won’t comment on my absolutely amazing and fantastic body features, however

• Xenny@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You could simply ask for a receipt. Quickly jot your number with a little heart. “Would love to get to know you!” And leave it at that. If he calls he calls otherwise he just throws the receipt in the trash and forgets about it.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

This. They’re already stressed enough as it is dealing with normal everyday work stuff. Don’t throw anything completely unexpected at them. They don’t need that.

• buddascrayon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Indeed, the line should read “the only thing I need on my meat.”

Cause in addition to objectifying the person just doing their job and not realizing that they are being low key stalked by a loser with no respect for them by calling them a “thing”, OP needs to use the right descriptor to refer to his penis and a flat cooked patty just doesn’t fit the bill.

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Thanks, I must have glosed over that extremely important piece of text and then made a point not to read it again haha