• n1ckn4m3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

In Android just selectively enable wireless ADB debugging and then use ADB Explorer. Easier than plugging the phone in, wireless, and allows access to all folders on the device (including /Android/data/* which is blocked from being accessed using on-device file explorers). Turn it off when you’re done. Boom, wireless data transfer to and from an Android device at way faster than cabled SMB speeds.

• n1ckn4m3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

IDK, have you tried to copy files over USB-C/USB 3.0 to a phone? I similarly thought it was going to be much faster than it actually is, but it’s still mind bogglingly slow using MTP – especially with file creation operations. Want to move 5,000 small text files totalling 20MB? You’ll be there for 8 hours, haha.

In my experience ADB is significantly faster than a cable (even USB-C+3.0), even when ADB is connected wirelessly. I typically get 20MBps-40MBps using ADB regardless of whether I’m writing large files or a bunch of small files, where at best I will (and a cursory google search sems to indicate most people will) see 8MBps-10MBps over the cable for large files, and when I’m copying small files (e.g., game roms for ScummVM or something), I will get maybe 1Mbps at the top end. Results are consistent between computers I use to copy, cables I use to copy, and phones I’ve copied data to.

I’m honestly surprised that in 2024 copying data to a brand new flagship phone using a USB cable is as poor of an experience as it is.

• Emerald@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That would work great for me if it had a linux version. Theoretically someone could just use fuse for it

• n1ckn4m3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

ADB Explorer is really just a wrapper for adb-pull, you can use that manually on Linux but without the GUI it’s true it’s not quite as seamless.