• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

It’s something that doesn’t play well in a primary because you’re trying to get the left side of the party.

Now in a general election it will draw centrists, as well as those who want Trump to properly account for his crimes. Those people on the far left who wouldn’t have chosen her over Bernie or whatever, they are so anti-Trump she can probably count on them to vote for her. There’s not a strong leftist third party candidate, either.

I hope you’ll be among them, even though you cringe.

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

In a general election it could also cause Democrats to stay home. You know that can happen, right? Harris needs to reassure Democrats that she won’t govern like a cop and appealing to mythical Independents at the cost of her base is a bad move.

I’m happy to vote for a chance at ending the genocide. I suspect she probably won’t but I’m willing to vote for a chance.

But if she gets deep into law and order shit then there are going to be people who see it and assume she’s basically just a moderate Republican, and they won’t care about taking that chance. Calling me cringe doesn’t change that.

• Mouselemming@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Honey, I didn’t call you cringe. You said “I cringe,” and I said, “vote, even if you cringe.” I cringed when I voted for Biden. Both times. But he did better than I expected for 4 years, and Trump did worse than I thought for his 4 and beyond.

We have to keep supporting whatever power structures stand in the way of those who choose their worst instincts over everyone’s best interests. I have confidence Kamala will “ovary up” to do that.