• anon6789@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Another vote for Jays getting a bad reputation. Mine are at least as polite as any of my other birds, if not moreso.

They look to have a pecking order among themselves though. I only ever really see them harass each other.

Otherwise they are charming and have great personalities. Mine all act very differently from each other and they give me endless hours of entertainment.

Big thumbs up to everyone here too for discussing this and not just downvoting you. This is how it should work.

• anon6789@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

That’s where I’m currently at with them. When I was working from home though, they’d call for me or get excited when they saw me walk up to the house. It made me feel like one of those people where the crows bring them stuff.

They taught some of the other birds to wait for the peanuts too. A breeding pair of cardinals and a few of the titmice learned from observation. Watching the tits fly off with a peanut near half their size is always entertaining!

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Our cardinals seem to like peanuts but they can’t really handle one in the shell; can’t open their beaks wide enough to grip it. So we make sure they get the busted ones so there’s an edge they can grab. Or they get safflower seeds which they have no problem with.

• anon6789@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I primarily only feed the birds during snow season, and then I put out shelled and unshelled so everyone can grab their preference. They all seem to prefer the ones in shells (freshness? more natural taste?) but if it’s the smaller birds or a squirrel that wants to really load itself up, they’ll grab the loose pieces.

Most of the jays refuse to touch the ones not in shells though if whole ones are available and some will even hang back for a while to see if I’ll toss some more good ones before they’ll settle for the loosies. They’ll get pretty competitive for them too.