Tomorrow morning is part 2 (of 2) of my diagnosis. I am 42 now. I am pretty sure myself that I am autistic, I have not found a better explanation for my life being the “shape” that it is.

I would be gutted if a professional decided that I do not belong here though. Fingers crossed that I have guessed right, and that the doc see me as I am, not just my mask.

Edit: just to follow up on this. I have just been diagnosed with Autism. I am extremely relieved. He was very casual about it, and very supportive. We also talked a lot about PDA, he said that describes a lot of my work and life challenges. I’m seeing him again in about 10 days where hopefully he can give me a bit of advice about what to do with this info. Thanks to all of you that commented.

• betterdeadthanreddit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

If you’re right, you’ve identified something that explains part of what makes you who you are. If you’re not, at least you’ll have some extra information and the pros can point you toward other possibilities worth investigating. Easy for me to say not to worry about it from this side of the keyboard but in my opinion, there aren’t many bad outcomes here. You’ll probably come away with a better idea of what’s going on and, if this is your goal, treatment options.

People can make mistakes and misinterpret things too (even if they have fancy diplomas and letters after their names). Not suggesting going doctor-shopping for the answer you expect but there’s nothing wrong with getting another opinion.

• craig9@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

You are absolutely right. Whatever the outcome, I will have learned something. Probably about me, or possibly about the doc. I can always go for a second opinion if needed. I hope it is not necessary, because I don’t have the energy frankly! Thank you though. I am hopeful I am right, it would explain a great deal of things. We’ll see what happens.