• Cowbob12@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Damn, looking at the comments here I realize sometimes I DO have more knowledge on some topics than other people. If you guys don’t know that’s a bronze sword, bronze is a metal that’s well known due to its corruption-resistant properties. When bronze develops that green patina you see on the sword it also creates a sort of protective layer that shields the rest of the metal from oxygen and prevents it from rusting away.

Quick note meant to say corrosion not corruption lmao.

• EddoWagt@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

bronze is a metal that’s well known due to its corruption-resistant properties.

I suppose it won’t take a bribe?

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

This is also why the statue of liberty is green. Also the colossus of Rhodes would’ve been the same color by the time of its fall, and especially by the time some MOTHERFUCKER SCRAPPED IT!

• JovialMicrobial@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Just wanted to add to your comment here because patinas are freaking cool, in the world of bronze sculpture you can make the patina form a different color by applying different chemicals.

It can be blue, black, turquoise, or iridescent depending on the chemical mix. I’m pretty sure there’s even a company that sells premixed solutions to achieve the desired results.

• TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

that’s really cool. yeah, anything involving either chemistry, manufacturing, or blacksmithing I would safely assume I’m not the expert in the room. I bet lots of people are same

• CyberEgg
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

bronze is a metal that’s well known due to its corruption-resistant properties.

Damn, Khorne must be powerful then.