• itchick2014 [Ohio]@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Boox Palma. Got one for myself as a treat and upgrade to my aging Kobo and the screen broke within 24 hours. I have never broken a screen. Support immediately told me it was “pressure” and that it wasn’t covered. I was very careful with it so no…I really don’t believe them. If the screen is THAT fragile…no interest. Planning on selling the ewaste at a yard sale. No way am I giving them money to fix an already flawed product.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

They’ve had screen breakage problems since about 2-3y ago for some reason. My OG Nova Air has survived about half a dozen short drops without any issue but more recent devices are just spontaneously breaking in people’s bags or sitting on a counter.

I think they’re dealing with some kind of design failure where they haven’t accounted for display stresses in the newer thinner screens but they’ll never, ever, admit to it. That would open them up to replacement liability and drive them out of business.

If you do buy one of their newer devices I strongly encourage you to buy a 2-3y aftermarket warranty with it otherwise it seems like you have a decent chance of just being shafted at random.

• seaQueue@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Oh yeah, I’m not saying you did anything wrong I’m just telling people to protect themselves when they buy their products.

They make nice eink devices, they just have a tendency to implode fairly often so definitely have buyer protection for a couple of years if you’re going to spend on one.

There’s really nothing you can do to go after them either, I doubt they have enough of a presence in the US to make a small claim worthwhile.

I’d you bought yours with a credit card take a peek at your card agreement and see if you have any coverage for electronics purchases. You might have coverage for 1-2y for phones, tablets, computers, etc and could make a claim through your CC company.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I got it through PayPal and ain’t nobody got time for that lol. I definitely learned. I ended up with a new Kobo and am very happy with it so I am actually happier long term.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I appreciate it. I’m trying to find an ereader now and I can cross them off the list. I wish I had leapt on the Pine64 one while it was in stock but I desired the color screens too much.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I have been happy with my Kobo Libra Colour I picked up after the terrible experience with Boox. I wish a phone sized option was available from Kobo but I have been enjoying the option to use a stylus more than I expected.