cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

The phone camera isn’t all that great at capturing the blackness. The species is called Brazilian Black/Grammostola Pulchra. They are generally docile so safe to handle, though Bob tends to get scared and curl up to a ball when I need to handle her, so I rarely do. She’s ~11 years old at this point.

• Timecircleline@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

What a pretty girl! I’ve never heard of the species before, she doesn’t look like she has stinging hairs at all, does she?

• UndercoverUlrikHD@programming.dev
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Thank you :) She’s at her most striking now that her coat is fresh. Like most new world tarantulas she has urticating hairs. It’s more noticeable right before molting as she will get a noticeable bald spot on her abdomen. I’ve never seen her use them though, she prefer just running away, which is also what the species is known for.

It’s been a decade since I last checked up the market, but it’s a relatively rare species that can only be bought through breeders. They are closely related to their much more famous “cousin” Chilean Rose/Grammostola Rosea