Last night, at approximately 2AM ET, a former employee, Madison Reeve, posted a thread on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, accusing Linus Media Group of cultivating a toxic work environment and encouraging a work culture that was detrimental to her health as well as sexual harassment directed at her by Linus Media Group employees.

“I chose to quit my role at LTT because it, and the working environment I was facing, were ruining my mental health,” her statement begins. “My work was called ‘dogshit’ I was called ‘incompetent’. When I would reach out to managers and try to get help with these situations, I would be told to ‘put on my big girl pants’ and be ‘more assertive’.”

Reeve went on to accuse the company of barring her from videos after she reported being “grabbed multiple times in the office” and being told to “calm my tits” and “stop being such a bitch.”

Madisons’ thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1691693740254228741.html
(Content warning: self harm)

• Preußisch Blau@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I really don’t understand how people have gone this long without realising that Linus and the company lost any morals they had (if any) a long time ago for the sake of profit. In my opinion Linus is just another greedy capitalist who treats his employees like shit and only cares about profit.

I would’ve expected more people to have at least noticed that the videos are pretty low-quality in terms of actual substance when you look past the professional coat of paint, and it’s been that way for a loooong time.

• Mac@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Because most people, like myself, probably just watch a few of the entertaining videos and leave it at that.
        How is that hard to understand?

Not that i will ever watch any LMG media again.

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Half joking half not but we all have attention gobbled up by our own matters and mobile phone games to care about what’s happening at LMG.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

50% of the entire world has lower than average intelligence. If just 1% of those idiots gravitate towards a single person, that’s 40m people.

I think 90% of his following is in the age range of 12-16. Which might also explain how he made a screwdriver into a “thing.”

• bermuda@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

50% of the entire world has lower than average intelligence

that’s the median which doesn’t always equate the average.

• CanadaPlus@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

They’re both usually said to match in this case, though. People criticise IQ but the general idea that intelligence follows a bell curve is less controversial. Height certainly does.

And IMO “mean” should be used because median fits a lot more of the intuitions about “average”.

• 4dpuzzle@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I have watched may be 2 of his videos before this, despite youtube recommending them all the time. Somehow, those videos that I did see didn’t give me the impression that they were genuine or decent. How do I know that? I don’t know - it’s like a feeling. I have seen other youtubers with less followers, whose videos exude hard work and passion. They are enough to get you hooked on subjects you weren’t even interested in the first place. When did people lose the ability to feel the character of the people they see?

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I don’t think they will end.

I do hope to LMG to unionize as a minimum and that the CEO does a lot of changes in the culture of the company.

• moonsnotreal@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

There is the new ceo and he has only been there about 2 months. I do feel a little bad for him inheriting such a dumpster fire of Linus’ making.

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmus.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes, dumpster fire, but that is why the CEO’s “deserve” the big bucks.

Would be even better if LMG become a Co-op where the workers own part of the company…

Would be huge news in the tech world for a know youtuber to be forced by the workers to unionize or become a co-op.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

This was all probably brewing under the surface and why Linus knew he had to step down. We don’t know the ultimate motives, and I’m definitely not defending him, but it does paint a whole picture for sure

• johnthedoe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I do like Mac address and the Linux dude that’s sometimes in quick tips or something. Unless they were involved in whatever is happening here. I’m a bit out of the loop.