• Nankeru@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have many of those, mainly because I’ve been a premium subscriber for 9 years. Well, not anymore.

They just piled up over time since I rarely awarded anyone.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. I got gilded a couple times in the past, and I gave all the awards I could this month since I’m not going back to reddit

• pruwyben
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s weird, I’ve been on Reddit for 11 years and have 0 coins. Maybe because I only use old reddit and RIF.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Bruh does anyone actually pay for those? They gave away a LOT for free. And I got quite a few more from others awarding me

• mark_hamill@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep I had this conversation with someone on Christian’s post about canceling Apollo. I owned the Alien Blue Premium App and when Reddit bought the app they gave anyone owned said app either 16 or 17 thousand Reddit Coins, cannot remember the exact amount. I have never purchased Reddit coin nor do I know what it costs but if me using some of those coins that they gave me gets a post to the front page then so be it.

• paorzz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not everyone was buying rewards. I had a few coins remaining. Used it all up (I mean I already paid for it pre-Reddit fuck up) and deleted my account.

• vtez44@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What does it give you even do except for cool image below the post? I never got why people bought those coins. Does it even give karma for the author?

• zekiz@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago
      1. Yes they give karma to the author and the one giving them out
      2. You can also get coins and reddit premium.
  • Psycrow@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This shit right here is why I never took most leftist subs seriously. There is nothing more painfully ironic than to see posts complaining about capitalism get bombarded with gold and stickers.

• Bloonface@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gotta say I have no love for the big leftist subs but that’s a pretty cheap shot.

Their choosing to purchase luxuries, in a world where luxuries must be paid for in a system they didn’t design, choose or want to live under, doesn’t negate that they are opposed to capitalism.

If you want to argue that they’re possibly a bit too sanguine about the prospect of their favourite luxuries existing under communism or whatever, fair enough. But that’s a separate argument from whether they’re stupid to pay money for stuff that makes them happy.

• SpaceAape@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Well nobody is, and that’s not really what he said. Break it down, he’s saying if a person wants something, it takes resources to acquire said thing. There’s no force here, just intrinsic motivation.

• DayDuJour@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

There has to be a line somewhere where your ideology meets reality. Maybe that line doesn’t extend to living off-the-grid on a commune and growing your own food, but I think we can safely put it at buying Reddit coins.

• Bloonface@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Nobody. But they want to have Reddit coins to reward people who do things they like. So they have to pay for them to satisfy that want.

They might also pay for pizza, beer and cinema tickets too. Same difference.

• DayDuJour@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I just wish they could satisfy that want by spending that money on poor people instead of rich people. Donate to a charity instead of buying emojis.

• hihusio@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

your argument makes sense if you’re talking about food or shelter or any essentials. but luxuries are a choice and reddit gold is about as non essential as it gets.

• cranstonapple@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

… you get some amount of awards for free. You’re jumping to conclusions by assuming they paid for them.

Also, it has been less than 30 days since this fiasco began. So some people could still be subscribed from the before times. And a lot of people who did subscribe likely subscribed annually because it was significantly cheaper than month-to-month.

But leftists. Sure.

• Psycrow@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My issue is that while I believe it is fine to show people what is wrong with the world on a large social media platform where there are no heavily used alternatives, when you give reddit money, you are not supporting an independent platform, you are giving your money to a social media platform partially owned by media megacorp Advanced Publications.

And that platform is clearly not happy with just the money they received from reddit gold. Now that they are going public, they are going to keep trying to find more ways to give even more money to their shareholders.

• cranstonapple@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

You’re saying that with hindsight though. Everyone has their limit. They likely purchased Reddit premium before their personal limit was reached.

Really though, advocating for change doesn’t mean you need to stick your head in the sand and not make the slot of the world as it is today. That’s just a propaganda talking point because it’s lazier to call people hypocrites than it is to actually disprove their points.

• Psycrow@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’m not saying that with hindsight at all. lol, I pointed this major inconsistency out on reddit a while back and got downvoted to hell, because the people on /r/antiwork have a bad track record when it comes to being self aware.

I generally don’t trust corporations, because in the end, they either get bought out or eventually go corrupt. Hell, when they go public, corruption is almost inevitable, because at that point their end goal of generating growth at all costs becomes ingrained. Reddit is no different. I expect the same thing to happen to Discord now that they’ve gone public too.

That’s why I want to place faith in open source products and services like Linux and Lemmy. Not one person can control them.

Also, what does anything I said have to do with sticking your head in the sand?

• 1bluepixel@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Meh, I’d say it’s equally as bad as people showering billionnaires doing AMA with them. Because what Bill Gates really needs is for the plebs to spend dollars giving him shiny paid emoticons on a website he doesn’t use on the regular.

• Victor Gnarly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You get rewards for posts. I’m sure the majority isn’t paying anything + it’s quite likely the admins can easily manipulate those rewards.

• Ghostalmedia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

People get coins when their posts are gilded. Also many of us still have years of apology gold from when Alien Blue was killed.

• skogens_ro@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Idk. That always seemed like a classic redditor thing to do: giving money to redditcorp just to spite some stranger.

But then again, the admins are very petty and juvenile. Huffman especially, going so far as to ghost-edit user’ comments.

• BlueForestDev@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The loudest mods keep posting even amongst themselves when they closed ‘their’ subs. Check their post history. It’s performative.
    There’s a reason reddit mods are reviled everywhere on the internet. Let them cry and piss and shit themselves. It’s free entertainment

Prob the same people who remade the subs here as magazines, squatting on the name but havent made a single comment since 4 or 5 days ago.

• SJ_Zero@lemmy.fbxl.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“Screw you we’re not changing anything. Get back in line. EDIT: Thanks for the reddit gold, kind strangers!”

• minnieo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i had a ton of coins left from being awarded a ton like 2 yrs ago, so i spent them on awards to make protest posts stand out ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• NekoRogue@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I noticed a lot of people on posts like this saying they were giving out all of the awards they’ve saved up over time before deleting their Reddit accounts. I don’t think this is all brain dead people paying the company they’re boycotting. They’re using the awards they have left to bring attention to the protest. I had a bunch of awards to give out from when someone randomly gave me gold but I never gave Reddit any money.

• Gamers_Mate@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know what you mean I got my most popular post gilded which gave me a month of reddit premium which is longer than what I will be sticking around for. Not sure if it was a random user or an admin thinking getting free premium would be enough to make people stop protesting.