redact

• BountifulEggnog [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So I’ll start off by saying I’m not a victim. I suppose technically people have touched me in ways that made me feel uncomfortable, but I’m kinda fine with it now (okay coming back after writing this maybe I need to process my feelings and fears about it more). My heart goes out to you so much meow-hug I hope you are in a good place now.

spoiler

I understand how much suffering pedophiles must go through. Just being celibate can be hard, and I imagine knowing you will never be able to change that (in an acceptable way) must be horrible. A lot of pedophiles are able to not offend, and I do feel bad for them.

I still think child rapists should be killed. Maybe that is impractical, maybe they’d be more likely to kill victims so it can’t actually work in reality, but they genuinely should die. It is one thing to suffer, it is another to inflict such suffering on someone else (especially a child). Legitimately human garbage, worth more as fertilizer. The most disgusting thing a person could ever do. If they actually felt empathy for their victims, they could not live with themselves. Them being alive is proof they still only care about themselves.

For me, restorative justice is 100% what the victim wants to happen.

I suppose if that’s what the victim truly wants. Like I said, I haven’t been so I suppose my thoughts on the subject don’t matter. Maybe I’m too vengeful, but idk. People have done less and I want them punished. There are lots of bigots that I think deserve to die. Not all, not all offenses are the same level of egregious though.

What if we could constantly monitor them to make sure they hurt no one else?

This seems impossible, outside of imprisoning them for life. Locking someone up alone forever seems worse then death to me, but hey shrug-outta-hecks

But it sounds like you have a lot more faith in people then I do, so that’s cool. Positive outlooks are cool, glad you have one.

I’ll probably watch this later, I would be surprised if my mind was changed on this topic though. Sorry if this comment upsets you or anything, usually I stay out of this discussion (because I’m not a victim of csa).

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago
      spoiler

I suppose if that’s what the victim truly wants. Like I said, I haven’t been so I suppose my thoughts on the subject don’t matter. Maybe I’m too vengeful, but idk. People have done less and I want them punished. There are lots of bigots that I think deserve to die. Not all, not all offenses are the same level of egregious though.

Yeah. She goes into this a lot in the video and tbh I fluctuate a lot on how I’d handle the situation if truly given the power to decide the sentence of my abusers. It would really be context dependent for me. I don’t want to do that now due to how awful the system treats victims. Currently I think vigilante justice to kill them is the only way to “resolve” this issue in our current society, but thats not to say something could be better.

This seems impossible, outside of imprisoning them for life.

With prison abolition, its not necessarily against ‘separating someone from society’. Its more that prison itself is a threat for more violence to victims in many cases (for example, vigilante justice against your rapist will send you there to be further raped). If it were a fairly normal community, except it is separated from society, that is far more acceptable I think. Like right now, if you speed too much or steal or something you can get thrown in the same jail with a bunch of pedophiles. All that means is you are likely to become a victim yourself.

• BountifulEggnog [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yea, obviously vigilante justice comes with issues.

With prison abolition, its not necessarily against ‘separating someone from society’.

But that’s… Imprisoning them? If we trap abusers in a place they can’t leave, that’s a prison.

prison itself is a threat for more violence to victims in many cases (for example, vigilante justice against your rapist will send you there to be further raped).

Yes, and I don’t want such people sent to prison. Or speeders, or drug “crimes” or probably other things. But I still think we need to remove people from others, and I suppose a prison is less severe then just killing 'em.

If it were a fairly normal community, except it is separated from society, that is far more acceptable I think.

But you do need to make sure they can’t leave, physically. How would that not be a prison? I mean we could improve on our current prisons a lot, and should. But when I start imagining how you would actually, physically keep potentially dangerous people away from society…

Also I just don’t think child abusers deserve that.

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.netOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

But that’s… Imprisoning them? If we trap abusers in a place they can’t leave, that’s a prison.

Yeah, I guess thats true, but I feel like its a semantics thing and there needs to be a better word than ‘reform’ or ‘prison abolition’. Restorative justice feels nice at least