My wife and I started talking about this after she had to help an old lady at the DMV figure out how to use her iPhone to scan a QR code. We’re in our early 40s.

• Notorious_handholder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I don’t really like bashing or putting the new generations in negative light… But in this case it is true. Late gen x, Millennials, and early gen z grew up with computers and tech that was more troublesome and where forced to learn how to naturally troubleshoot. On top of that we got eased into the more advanced and user friendly stuff.

Later generations where born with the easier user friendly stuff and don’t have to troubleshoot nearly as much.

Of course this is also a generalization and does not reflect on an individual bases

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Every piece of tech today is made so that it works out of the box with usually a tutorial on an app showing you what to do. So, yeah, young people have a hard time with tech because 95% of the time, it works out of the box.

It’s easy to blame them, but they never really had to debug anything. The tech has been dumbed down all the way so that anyone that is remotely functional can use it.

• Cryptic Fawn@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yea, I don’t like bashing my niblings generation either, but it’s not just the two of them I’ve had to provide tech support to; my cousins kids as well. They all act like troubleshooting is an alien concept and panic when the WiFi stops working on their tablets.

Fortunately my nephew’s high school has a computer class he’s required to take. I hope he learns something useful.