Originally set to return in mid-June, Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams may be on the station until February, 2025.

During a press conference today, NASA representatives confirmed they have a contingency plan to bring astronauts Barry Wilmore and Sunita Williams home from the International Space Station (ISS) early next year. If they’re unable to leave sooner aboard the Boeing Starliner spacecraft that brought them there

Tests conducted at NASA’s White Sands Test Facility pointed to deformed Teflon seals being a potential cause of the Starliner’s thrusters failing, but the agency isn’t expected to make a final decision on whether or not Williams and Wilmore will return using Boeing’s spacecraft until mid-August.

• unalivejoy@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

When the marketing department has some extra funds, so they rescue their competitor.

• dactylotheca@suppo.fi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I doubt they spent all that much money murking whatshisname. The R&D money goes to the parasites known as executives and shareholders

• towerful@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Gotta research dividends!

Edit:
        Maybe Boeing made a simple mistake and invested in Relaxation & Dividends, instead of Research & Development.

• wildncrazyguy138@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

It’s easy to hate on Boeing. Yea, they done f-ed up a few times and upper management made some very poor decisions, but there are 10s of thousands of people who work there and it’s a good manufacturing job in a country that used to pride itself on manufacturing. We can’t all be service workers, and I’d venture that, given the way you present yourself online, you’re probably not someone who is resting on their laurels either.

Now, back to stocks. It’s also quite simple to throw a slick quip about how the big bad shareholder bogeyman is ruining our country, but, unless you’re among the minority in this country, you likely own some stock in some company, somehow. The shareholders are us.

But therein gives us a lot of power. Many shares are voting shares. We could, if we all chose to, enact the corporate change we wish to see. And coincidentally enough, there are people precisely doing that kind of good work. Look up the philosophy behind ESG, it is becoming a thing. Or certified B corps. Likewise, many countries require unions to have a seat on their board; unfortunately for now, the US isn’t one of them, but that could change.

Or, ya know, we could just be dismissive and scapegoat our problems. That’s life, we get to choose our own adventure.

• exanime@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Next you are going to tell us that we can save the planet by recycling harder…

Not sure if you are delusional or just trolling

• wildncrazyguy138@fedia.io
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

I take it you don’t recycle then eh? Paper and cans just aren’t worth your time.

It’s all the corporations fault, we’re totally not complicit in the degradation process as well.

And y’all call me deluded…

• exanime@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I do recycle and do what I can… I just hold no delusions that I’ll save the planet by doing that while corporations literally pollute per day 100x over what I can recycle in a lifetime.

If 1000 of us were to die tomorrow, dropping out pollution to zero, I would not make up for a single Kardashian private flight to spare her from 40 mins traffic

• Professorozone@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Um WE’RE recycling. It’s the recyclers that are not recycling. Consumers are often called on to save the planet when only corporations can do it. They are the ones causing the damage, they should be the ones fixing it. Some things are just too big for citizens to handle, that’s what governments are supposed to be for. And because governments are just corporations in disguise they should handle this problem. You know what happens when I stop eating red meat to save the planet? I get no red meat and the planet dies anyway. Producing red meat should be legislated into becoming more environmentally friendly instead of blaming the consumer for eating food. You can follow this logic with pretty much any industry.

Also, from your post further up, I doubt anyone is actually blaming the guy installing parts on Boeing planes for Boeing’s problems. Slamming Boeing for the crap they do falls fully on the shoulders of the people controlling it, you know, the ones profiting from it.

• sunzu@kbin.run
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

unless you’re among the minority in this country, you likely own some stock in some company, somehow. The shareholders are us.

Look up your numbers muhh booma. Jfc

• mercano@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yes and no. One of the problems right now is each of the three capsule designs uses a different pressure suit, with different hookups, and each relies on a custom fitted seat liner to absorb some of the shock of landing / splashdown, so if you’re planning on landing on a different ship then you launched on, they need to send up a new seat liner & space suit.

This was half a problem even with the shuttle. You still needed a different spacesuit, but because it landed gently on a runway, it didn’t require custom seats.

• macniel@feddit.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Ah come on. Don’t tell us it’s the square plug into the round receptacle issue all over again (Apollo 13 style)?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

How do I know? Why should they need to? They have families. Obviously they would rather be with them.

• 9tr6gyp3@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Would they honestly rather be with their families and are asking to leave? How do you know these details?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

Because it’s their families? Are you serious? They don’t want to be with their partners and kids?

Should we call CPS?

• criticon@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

But they are in space doing science. Some people like their jobs and their families can understand that this is temporary

• Pennomi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The industry gossip/theory going around is that there’s a software issue in Starliner that makes it incapable of autonomously returning to Earth. This is probably NASA’s way of telling Boeing to fix it to a satisfactory degree of confidence before a given deadline, or else.

Arguably that alone is enough reason to completely abandon Starliner as an option for the return trip.

• Zipitydew@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s only an issue in that the logic isn’t currently turned on. The capsule can do it just fine. It just wasn’t the point of this mission.

NASA update earlier today said Boeing can turn the ability on if needed. Will just need time for update and then testing to make sure it’s all good to go.

• BastingChemina@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

It seems like there is disagreement within NASA whether it is safe for the astronauts to return on Starliner or not.

Boeing engineers did test on the ground to try to replicate the issue that is occuring on the thrusters. They found thqt the issue isndue to a Teflon seals bulging but they don’t understand precisely why is the seal buldging and when it occurs.

However they feel confident enough that the problem would not happen on the way back to earth. Some people are NASA are not as confident as they are and would like to know the precise cause of the bulging.

About the software: there is a capability in the software for the capsule to undock autonomously.

However it would means resurrecting parameters that have not been used and updated since 2022, there is some reconfiguration needed and testing to make sure it still does what is needed despite the different hardware and software change that happened since then.

It is really not looking good for Boeing right now and I don’t know if the Starliner program will survive this accident.

https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/08/nasa-official-acknowledges-internal-disagreement-on-safety-of-starliner-return/2/

• kamenLady.@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Fuck Boeing - for real fr

Playing with the lives of people seems now to be officially their thing.

• TransplantedSconie@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Just sit right back

And you’ll hear a tale

A tale of a fateful trip,

That started from a tropic port,

Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailin’ lass.

The Skipper brave and sure,

Two passengers set sail that day,

For an eight day tour,

A eight day tour.

• Guy_Fieris_Hair@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

I get that being trapped in a tube that is essentially a tiny little bubble of habitable area in the vast, hostile, emptiness of space can already be super claustrophobia inducing and they are vetted and trained for that. But it seems once you are up there and you realize the world’s leaders in space, and the people that sent you can’t figure out how to get you home, that would trigger that panic in anyone. If there is an emergency you have no escape and there is no rescue coming.

• TheRealKuni@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

If there is an emergency you have no escape and there is no rescue coming.

In the case of emergency they will jump into the Starliner and go. And they’ll probably be fine.

If Scott Manley is to be trusted (and I think he is), what’s likely happening is that the probability of failure has gotten higher than the mission parameters. Still very low, but higher than what was planned.

• NegativeNull@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The space station has tons of stockpile of consumables like that, and are still being regularly restocked by cargo ships (unmanned).

• towerful@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Pretty sure cargo dragon is just a stripped down crew dragon to make more space for cargo.
          Or maybe, crew dragon is a cargo dragon fitted for passengers… Seeing as cargo dragon flew with cargo and docked to the ISS in 2012 (crew dragon was 2020).

Pretty sure crew dragon has all the auto/remote to fully launch and then dock to the ISS.
          Cargo dragon is auto/remote docked. Doesn’t even need canadarm. So would make sense that crew dragon is as well

• ndupont@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

You could equally fit 2 additional seats in a crew dragon, which was designed for 7 people from the beginning

• BastingChemina@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

Not anymore, it was designed for 7 people in 2 seat rows using propulsive landing.

During development they switched to parachute instead of propulsive landing, since parachute can be rougher they had to lean the seat more back for the astronauts to be able to handle more G’s.

In this lean back position there is not enough space for a second row of seats anymore

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Aren’t the stranded astronauts older? I am concerned about the long term damage to their bodies.

• Snapz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Uh oh astronauts… SpaceX “might have” gone to Mars starting in 2017 was it? They "might have"done a lot of things they they never actually done… Save that oxygen, astronauts.

• Bimfred@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

They have 8 incident-free crew missions under their belt. Sit your ass down, the adults are talking.

• Bimfred@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Fucking lol.

EDIT: Hoo boy, you didn’t even look at what you linked, did you? My point was that SpaceX has completed 8 crewed missions. The video is just half an hour of Thunderfoot’s inane rambling about launch costs. Not a single word about whether or not SpaceX has completed any crewed missions, ISS or otherwise. That’s the point I’m challenging you to disprove here. Go ahead. Show your work. I’m looking forward to it.

• Snapz@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

Didn’t like what you saw, huh? Bummer bud… Keep packing for Mars though, huh?

• Bimfred@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

Thunderfoot’s psychotic obsession with Musk and the complete denial of reality happening before his eyes it necessitates has destroyed any credibility as a scientist he ever had. The authority of a food chemist on matters of rocket science is questionable in the first place. Your blind, unquestioning acceptance of whatever drivel escapes his frothing mouth is no less pathetic.

And with that, I’m going to toast to the memory of the brain cells I’ve lost over the course of this “conversation”. Hoping for anything even resembling a reasoned argument from you is clearly a fool’s errand.

• Bimfred@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

What’s your reasoning behind the claim that a company that’s been transporting crew to and from the ISS for 4 years, and currently has a vehicle docked to the station, is incapable of launching a tenth mission? Mind that said mission was supposed to launch next week, but Starliner is being a pad princess in orbit and won’t get off the required docking port.

• maniii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

NASA did a study recently that micro-gravity and zero-g causes corneal eye damage causing astronauts to lose eyesight over long durations in space.

Is the possibility of these astronauts going blind permanently due to Boing Boing ?

I think it is time to put this shitty “aerospace” company into the ground.

• Chocrates@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Scott Kelley did 340 days in space without too much long term damage that I am aware of (his was the first long term test) so I wouldn’t anticipate damage much worse than what he got. If we can get them out in under a year and if they get don’t have an emergency and if they don’t have any underlying medical conditions that get exacerbated and if our single test can be used to predict their outcomes.

We really fucked up. Either trusting Boeing or not having a contingency plan I guess.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s certainly not great for their eyes, but a number of people have been up for longer in one go. I think Frank Rubio currently holds the record at ~14 months.