Hope you are all well

• @Fedegenerate@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Waiting for a call from the National Careers Service for help starting a new life in Consumer Advocacy. 33 years and I finally have an aspiration worth a damn. Currently, I’m working menial jobs as physio therepy to help me recover from a traffic accident some years ago. It allows me to stick headphones in and widen my knowledge base via audio books and headphones (just finished History of Rome, 10 out of 10, have already forgotten the beginning so will go again) while getting an enforced light workout.

But, I’m done with that now… Maybe not done with that, depending on if I can source on the job training or of I have to go back to school. I’m nervous about committing to a full time position; part time plus homemaking is still a bit of an ask for me, but I usually don’t do things till I’m forced to so shrug. Commit and deal with it I guess.

Also, heading out to a tailor to get my trousers fitted for a wedding next week, so that’s nice. But also dealing with landlord and letting agent issues so that’s not nice. All in all, can’t complain.

• @ji88aja88a@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    69 months ago

Last Saturday I put a deposit down on a motorbike… today I get the phone call to tell me they can’t get one… they offered a bigger bike for a cheaper price. I’m new to riding and think a 650 will be too much bike. Really dampened my day… anyways,.gonna go check it out tomorrow. Who knows, it might suit me better!

• @ji88aja88a@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

It was a great fit … I bought it. Got a great deal in the end. Had great repoire with the salesman… every offer he made I took and still said I was sad about the whole situation. It got to the point where I was asking for another $1K off (he already took $1K off)… I said if you can do this I’ll sign today and youll have a long term customer, ended up getting $2k knocked off, some free accessories and first service free!

• GreyShuck
    link
    fedilink
    69 months ago

Day off today and soon heading out to a contemporary art exhibition in a nearby town with my SO - and to take a look around the town too, since we haven’t been there for ages.

Then I’m out again this evening for a bat survey at a new nature reserve, recently acquired by the local Wildlife Trust.

• GreyShuck
        link
        fedilink
        39 months ago

With this one, we will be assigned a position somewhere likely to be attractive to bats on the site (I think that there will be 14 of us tonight, so 14 points) and then sit there with a bat detector for 90mins or so from around sunset.

You can simply position detectors and recorders alone, without people, but they are expensive and it is best to have someone with them - you also get to see the bats as they pass and can do some of the ID there and then.

These days we record the output from the detector for later analysis of the ultrasound and a lot of that can be done automatically, using AI, but humans still need to confirm the exact species. Once you have your ear in, though, you can recognise a lot of the calls (stepped down to the range that humans can hear) ‘live’ as you hear them, but a lot of the myotis family of bats are very similar and need further ID, through sonograms and actual visual ID, to be certain.

• GreyShuck
            link
            fedilink
            29 months ago

It will be passed to the wildlife trust so that they know what species they have on the site. This will allow them to manage the habitat in the most appropriate ways to benefit the bats - and other species that are present. It will also feed through to county and national records to monitor population trends and also potentially feed into any neighbouring planning applications - since bats are protected species in the UK.

• @glad_cat@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    69 months ago

I started a new job last week and it’s not bad so far. It’s a good change after spending 5 years working with crazy bosses who were insulting people all the time.

• @glad_cat@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        39 months ago

I’m still a computer programmer but this new company seems to be more organized and not crazy, compared to the harassement that I experienced earlier. I’m still a bit anxious due to what happened before, but I’m starting to relax and I sleep better.

• @orangeNgreen@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    59 months ago

Woke up with a bit of a headache. But caffeine and Advil seem to be doing the trick. One more busy day to get through, and then we’ve made it to the weekend!

• @HomesliceAbe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    49 months ago

I work with special needs students. This semester I’m 1 on 1 with one of the cutest Down Syndrome girls ever. Yesterday she just did NOT want to go to her culinary class. She just wanted to go home after being at school for only an hour. There was no budging her.

Today, not only did she go to culinary, but she had a blast taking part in the lesson. I had a blast watching her.

Now I’m laying in bed and my partner has fallen asleep spooning me. I’d say my day is going pretty well. Nice start to the weekend.

• Saturdaycat
    link
    fedilink
    39 months ago

It’s Friday ! I can walk around and hang out during an easy day

• @cizra@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    39 months ago

Trying to decide between The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind (OpenMW), Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, doomscrolling in Lemmy, or doing some work instead. So far, work has been winning, but I’m not sure of continued success.

• @dingus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    29 months ago

I have a later shift today than normal. I woke up early and decided to go for a bike ride. Was nice but it gave me a migraine aura lol. I don’t have a headache atm so I think I’m still good! Today I’m paired with one of my favorite coworkers when I go in to work today. I have a delicious sub sandwich waiting for me in the fridge for dinner when I get home. And it’s Friday and payday! So all in all it’s pretty good so far.

• @just_ducky_in_NH@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    29 months ago

It’s going great! Just finished my summer job yesterday, and I have two weeks off before I start my school job. Looking forward to lots of sleeping in!

• @BlazeOP
      link
      19 months ago

Great news!

• Mars2k21
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Going great. Got a coffee and Starbucks made my order right this time. Sat on a park bench and just relaxed there for 45 minutes. Can’t complain about anything really, it’s Friday.