• InternetCitizen2@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I think Linux often does get an unfair benchmark on these things. It is ultimately up to the publisher to make their software available in Linux. We don’t say that Windows is bad because it cannot run Final Cut Pro? I would say that the Chromebook being a commercial success is proof that the trifecta of I can’t use Linux because of MS Office, gaming, or video editing is not a big deal for causal users. No one is buying a Chromebook for any of those reasons.

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Hasn’t chromebook grown so quickly largely because they have a bunch of programs incentivising schools to buy them for students? Genuine question, because I don’t think I’ve even heard of someone buying a chromebook themselves for personal use.

• InternetCitizen2@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

undefined> Hasn’t chromebook grown so quickly largely because they have a bunch of programs incentivising schools to buy them for students?

That is very true, but due to many things being web apps I have seen them be used as cheap browser only computers for grandma and a few places for employees to use a portal. Still they don’t have much of gaming or MS Office, so i think my point stands.