• TheForvalaka@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Whatever the number, I’ve definitely noticed in the past few days that there are getting to be enough people having conversations and posting content for this place to feel like a legit community instead of a ghost town. I’m really glad to see more people joining and taking part.

• MicroWave@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Agreed. It’s really nice to see top posts having a lot of thoughtful engagement. Hopefully we’ll have enough to start seeing people branching out to smaller niche communities too.

• Moohamin12@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For example, your comment is the first one I have seen that has over 30 upvotes since I came on board a week back.

• barry_budapest@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s been amazing to feel like we’re part of something that’s growing so fast. I’ll miss Reddit but I expect Lemmy will fill in the role sooner rather than later.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Line goes up?

You failed to continue multiplicative growth therefore your investors are going to pull their money… Wait there are no investors, there is no ipo. I’m going to donate 10$.

• ThreeChonkyCats@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

How easy is it!

I just used my Reddit name and continued here.

No effort what so ever.

Bit to wrap my head around the idea of subs being completely different communities on different servers, but I LIKE that idea… no Fascist Overlords to control the groupthink.

I guess (if this is how the Lemmyverse/Fediverse works) is some AWS/cloud instances are going to be spun up hard and fast!

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Soon, the novelty accounts are going to start showing up here again.

something something undertaker mankind cage something.

• twistedtxb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yes, I expect some instances to have some difficulty coping with the traffic in July

I sometimes go to Reddit again, mostly by habit, but once Relay stops working, I’m done.

• ProficientTroll@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is my first comment on Lemmy , excited to be here as we embark on a new journey away from Reddit.

I’m excited for Sync coming to lemmy , my go to app for reddit browsing was Sync.

And obligatory fuck spez

• Kostya@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Just heard the news about Sync and instantly registered here. I’ll still be hoping for Boost to cross over, but Sync is infinitely better than Reddit’s app. A decent client was all that was missing for me to make the plunge, let’s hope that’s the case for more people.

And yes, fuck Spez

• memchr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

There are many more bad instances like this in the statistics. I think it will become a problem for Lemmy sooner or later.

• House.of.Questions@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I believe instances can block other instances entirely, right? Or have I misunderstood that? This would mean none of those bots in there could ever post in our threads here. I’m sure there will be cooperation between the instances on this.

• ThreeChonkyCats@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think with the extreme novelty, there will be LOTS of devs trying out new scripts and auto-doings.

I suspect that will be learned pretty fast, published to a group, then many of the bots will simply die out.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Ngl, I’m gonna miss these early days I think. Hopefully we have instilled some type of decent, thoughtful culture on here that can keep us grounded and keep flourishing.

I really like getting in on these big threads later at night when everyone is chopping it up and making me think.

• Shadywack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I understand the bot concern, but when I look at the comment and active user figures, they’re all in the same trendline of exponential growth. This is the exodus just beginning. Personally I’m finding Lemmy to be a refreshing alternative that serves far better than what Reddit has become. I think it’s what we’ve all been waiting for, and the secret’s starting to get out.

• Matthieu@piaille.fr
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@MicroWave
    There is a huge bot issue right now (started 3 days ago). All the numbers are worthless.

It’s a known issue, all admins should add captcha to the subscription page, delete the bots and re-compute the actual number of users. Unless we do that, we won’t have a correct number.

We can still look at the Monthly Active Users. Bots don’t post (yet)

• nero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

This is a bot made to repost from reddit to generate content for remade subs, thought i don’t know if that’s the right thing to do, it’s not made purely to spam communities afaik

• Wolfie 🐺🌙@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I have mixed feelings about this. We should try to get more people here to make this content. Maybe it’s just me but I when I see a whole page with bot posts I stay away from that community. I would rather see posts from real users, engage with them, share my thoughts with the author and I am not able to do that if it’s a copy from somewhere else made by a bot

• LUHG@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Bots get a bad rep. Bots are fantastic, it’s just a shame they are prejuded to be bad. I’m sure signup has a bot mode on some instances.

• boonhet@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

I have no problem with bots in general (there were some really cool novelty ones on reddit, as well as moderation ones, etc). When large amounts of accounts are created for bots, it seems a bit shady, however. Will those be used to push political opinions and guerilla marketing as Lemmy gets bigger, or did someone just create a bunch of accounts to simulate conversations using an LLM?

• zamboniman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They’re supposed to be bot posts. That’s what lemmit.online is for. To copy Reddit content into communities on lemmit.online.

• Wolfie 🐺🌙@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Good to know. Also I have mixed feelings about this. It’s great to see more content but I would rather see more of original posts here than a copy from reddit.

• Temple Square@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve been on Lemmy since last Monday (like 10 days). It’s meteoric!

Back then, simply posting ANYTHING automatically meant you made the front page.

• maggoats@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I don’t doubt there’s a great amount of user growth, but it appears that many of those are account creation spam on instances with 1 active monthly user though.

Edit to add a comment I made on another post Basically there might be about 200k real users right now including lurkers, growing at a rate of basically 13.5k per day.

• subignition@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, no idea whether this is spammers trying to stake turf or someone trying to inflate the user count to stick it to reddit (or something) but the numbers from the 18th on are clearly inauthentic.

• Hyperreality@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

TBF reddit’s numbers are also inauthentic.

Hell, fake it till you make it isn’t that bad a strategy to attract new users.

Of course, you also need content. I hope people start making bots which steal content from reddit, which bots on reddit steal from twitter/insta/tiktok/snapchat. That way we can all cut out the middle-man.

On a side note, I think it’s really cool that I’m on kbin and commenting on something on lemmy.

• Limitless_screaming@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

On a side note, I think it’s really cool that I’m on kbin and commenting on something on lemmy.

It’s also so well integrated, that I just realized I am on a Lemmy magazine/community.

• MerylasFalguard@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Conspiracy theory: what if Reddit is using it’s not army to make a bunch of dead/spam accounts to try to make Lemmy instances more expensive solely to try to price them out of their space so they can then turn and point to how “Reddit alternatives aren’t viable/stable.”

On one hand, that’s obviously stupid and not true. On the other hand, I can see Huffman being petty and malicious enough to do something like that.

• Kichae@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Inactive accounts don’t really add any expense. Creating a bot farm to create large amounts of artificial traffic to crush competitors would risk antitrust lawsuits that would actually cripple the company.

• oaschbeidl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So now I just gotta build up a new feed from scratch, that’s the part that sucks the most. So many nice niche communities I’ve discovered over the years on reddit… But it was time, reddit has been going downhill for years.

• FlayOtters@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’m in the middle of doing the same. Its a shame when you go through your list of subreddits and can’t find an equivelant community on here. Nevermind niche subs, there will still be plenty of 1mil+ subs which are missing from here.

Nor do I want to create and be the only mod of about 20 different subs. I feel like that requires a special sort of person lol.

• Grad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just joined lemmy and this is the first social media service where I could grab my short username instead of a longer one no one uses I’m very glad

• AustralianSimon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You could always host your own instance and be the only user with your special user and connect to other instances’ communities.

• william@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I typed my old Reddit username in at first then said “wait a minute…”, somehow nobody took my simple first name in the first several hundred thousand accounts created!

• Grimpen@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Usernames only have to be unique on each instance, kind of like email. Even if Lemmy is growing exponentially, not all that growth will be on lemmy.world.

• atimholt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve always been able to grab my username. Of course, I originally (in a different context) tried “timholt”, which was taken, then “thetimholt”, which was also taken.