World’s first ‘superfast’ battery offers 400km range from 10 mins charge::Tesla, Toyota and VW supplier CATL says production will begin in 2023

• Mojojojo1993@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

But you don’t need it. You need a vehicle that gets you a to b. You can charge when you aren’t driving.

Electric cars will be common once they reach price parity with ice. Why buy an ice that helps prop up the profits of oil cartels.

If price can get close to ice with good enough range. Cuts out every going to a petrol station again and solar panels will reduce your transport costs. Plus added bonus of less moving parts and no oil changes ever again.

Plus less noise.

• wahming@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It doesn’t matter if 95% of the time you don’t need fast charging. When making a major purchase like a car, most people will consider their extreme use cases. Whether that’s logical or not doesn’t factor in

• svellere@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Imagine I’m a car salesman who doesn’t give a shit about EVs. I just want to sell a car.

“This car right here, you can fill 'er up in 1 hour! Oh but this feller, well she only takes 60 seconds, and has twice the range to boot!”

The average person isn’t going to care that the first car is an EV and the second car is gas-powered.

Most people can’t afford to get charging set up at home for overnight charging, either. You’re also not considering emergency scenarios where people won’t have time to wait an hour for their vehicles to charge.

The scenario you’re imagining is an ideal scenario, not working with the current reality we have right now. The industry is working on making EVs charge extremely quickly because they believe it is a major selling point for their vehicles. Which, for the average person, it absolutely is. If EVs want to outsell gas-powered vehicles consistently, they need to meet the basics of being able to fill up quickly and having identical range.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Isn’t. Just like phone makers are pushing fast charging. Nice to have but not required.

You and everyone else on this car forum forget. Cars are luxury products that have only been around 100 years.

We managed before cars. Since the beginning of humans we’ve managed without electricity cars and most other things. We can change the use

• BombOmOm@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Cars are luxury products

The average person you are trying to sell a basic car to is not going to agree with the ‘it’s just a luxury product’ when their car is a crucial component of how they get to their work, their home, how they pickup their kids, how they pickup their groceries, and how they visit their family.

we managed before cars

And the Amish manage today without them as well. I don’t want to be Amish.

If you truly are trying to sell EVs to people over ICE cars, you need to meet them where they are at. And, as the person above stated, fill-up times, range, and purchase price are all crucial selling points you need to compete on.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

You are making my point for me.

These are use cases for the current system. A brand new system that didn’t exist 50 years ago.

We have built our lives around cars. Doesn’t mean we can’t change it. You sound like the same people who refuse to change their habits while the world crumbles around us.

Too hard not to use plastic for everything. Don’t want to be inconvenienced by anything. Great.

I’m not selling you a car. Don’t care about you. Selfish people don’t think about anyone else.

• Meowoem@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I totally agree - kinda, the truth is there are various common use cases for cars. A cheap little run around that slow charges over night would be great for a lot of people but it wouldn’t suit everyone, having a wide range of options is a great thing.