Retail experts have long sounded the alarm on malls in the US.

But malls are not going extinct, they are merely adapting to a new environment. In fact, many have reported robust occupancy levels and bigger crowds than before the pandemic, according to a recent market analysis from Coresight Research.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’d also stipulate there is at least one way walkable cities should be more like malls. Everyone wants to get rid of cars , for good reason, but what about everyone else? Good walkable cities still need to provide better ways for someone to drive to the city and leave their car.

We’d all benefit from more park-n-rides surrounding a town center, more long term parking. Let’s welcome people not yet ready to give up their cars, the opportunity to give them up part time

• gramathy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Good walkable cities should have appropriate rural transport so you don’t need to drive into town and can take a five dollar train ride with no traffic instead that includes return fare and takes you right to main destination districts.

Seattles ferry network, for example.

• SheeEttin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

We almost have that in Boston. You can drive in and park on the edge of the train network, then take a $2.40 ride anywhere in the system, and it gets you almost everywhere.

Well, when the trains aren’t on fire, anyway.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

When I lived in L.A., we would drive to the train station all the time if we were doing something like going downtown. It was too far to walk to the station, but there was parking and the train was convenient. So I absolutely agree with you.