So that if there’s a big event like a Taylor Swift concert you couldn’t go to and they detected you’re most likely a fan, they’ll gen AI a photo of you at the concert

If you missed a Christmas gathering with your family, they’ll gen AI one for you

If like Japan but haven’t been there yet, they gen AI a whole vacation album of you there

They’re literally trying to embed fabricated events into your life and brain lmao

People are largely very excited for this idea. All the apps between different companies constantly copy each other to achieve feature parity, there’s no escape. You will live a life of luxury and excitement whether you want to or not

• Cammy [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    21 days ago

The commercials where they show a parent editing their child’s beach picture or whatever are so bleak.

It’s not a picture for them to look back on or to share with the kid when they’re older. It’s for social media. It starts as a perfectly nice photo and like an intrusive thought asks "what if you could make it better. "

I would hate to have the only parts of my past edited with things that weren’t there so my parents could impress the neighbors.

The commercial if you’re curious:

https://www.yewtu.be/watch?v=BnJVvzyazqg

• heggs_bayer [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      21 days ago

STEM lords:

soypoint-1 purge-1 purge-2 soypoint-2 Gommunism authoritarian totalitarian jorjorwell 1984, look at Stalin memory holing people to gaslight the citizenry!

Also STEM lords:

so-true Epic bacon bazinga! I can alter memories with my artificial intelligencerinos!

• Cammy [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

Unrealistic standards of beauty and success that you can project from your phone. My fear is that it’ll be normalized.

I have family with dementia and memory issues and I can’t imagine not being able to have any real pictures to explore memories

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

It’s likely to become a sort of (deliberate) arms race where social norms will expect enhanced images and anyone who doesn’t use them (or doesn’t use sufficiently expensive bazinga editing) will be socially marginalized. joker-amerikkklap

• hexaflexagonbear [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

It’s become more normalized and somehow more offputting than when everyone you know would add heavy gaussian blur to look… idk younger? Prettier? I honestly don’t get it because the blurred photos look awful to me.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

The commercials where they show a parent editing their child’s beach picture or whatever are so bleak.

I haven’t had to see those yet, but if that’s what’s being normalized now… this is a new level of bleak bazinga clownishness that I didn’t even know was possible. joker-amerikkklap

• LENINSGHOSTFACEKILLA [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

I intentionally bought a polaroid specifically for memories with my daughter that i could have ready nearly instantly. i still use 35mm on occasion, but that takes a bit more time and set up than a toddler can afford.

• GalaxyBrain [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        21 days ago

I gotta get a film camera. I got some nice prints of all my good cat pics cause it would really suck to lose them cause whatever device shit the bed. Hard copies of stuff are cool and good. I’d like to find something entirely analogue

• HamManBad [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

I don’t know, as someone who liked using Photoshop to do silly stuff (back when I had access to Photoshop), the idea of making it easy and practical to do on a phone sounds fun. I just don’t want AI to do it to photos I didn’t ask to edit. Stay tf out of my stuff