• CyberEgg
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    20 days ago

Edit: It looks like this study is just self-reporting on how people feel about different breeds?

It is, but the statement I cited is not a conclusion of this study but a reason why the study was conducted. The study itself wants to learn how strong the bias is that leads to these stereotypes, because one of the issues of gathering data is bias. Basically, people buy certain breeds expecting a certain behavior and then train these breeds to express said behavior, which makes it difficult to examine whether said behavior is due to the nature or nurtured or how big a role either plays.

• Feathercrown@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      20 days ago

Ah, I see. Still, that doesn’t really say anything either way about the actual behavioral differences between dogs (and the studies they cited are blocked for me-- thanks, Elsevier!)

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 days ago

Basically, people buy certain breeds expecting a certain behavior and then train these breeds to express said behavior, which makes it difficult to examine whether said behavior is due to the nature or nurtured or how big a role either plays.

All the authors need to do is go to a handful of working dog breeders and watch the puppies. They will see quite clearly that breeding dogs for traits works.