her, expolde

Join our puplic Matrix server! https://matrix.to/#/#tracha:chapo.chat

As a reminder, be sure to properly give content warnings and put sensitive subjects behind proper spoiler tags. It’s for the mental health of not just your comrades, but yourself as well.

Here is a screenshot of where to find the spoiler button.

• ashinadash [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 days ago

In Super Mario World, you might go down a green pipe because there could be one of those slotmachine rooms in it, with a chance to get a cape feather… The SM64 equivalent would be pressing down on the dpad on every single pipe in case a star is hiding there…

• gaystyleJoker [she/her]@hexbear.netM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 days ago

both sonic adventures had a scoring component based on the amount of rings you collected during the level as well as a mission mode in 2 that had you going back through the levels to collect things

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 days ago

Ranks aren’t exclusively ring-based though and rings aren’t ever required for progression. You can collect stuff in the Adventure games, up to and including Emblems, but it’s all a side thing, right? It helps you score better or supports side game stuff, but it’s not the core focus. Core focus is Gotta Go Fast, whereas SM64 legit locks you out of stages without × amounts of stars.

(I know I’m so hateful :3)

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 days ago

like i said, red coin and 100 coin stars aren’t required for completion. you need a total of 70 stars to complete the game. if you beat every level except for the coin stuff, you’d still come out with 75 stars, more than enough to get to the final stage

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 days ago

No but stars are, so yeah you basically have to do a pretty obnoxious amount of collecting. 75 stars is like 60% of the total star count. The point of it is making number go up. Quick, imagine if Celeste had Strawberry Doors in front of each chapter and you had to get a certain amount of strawbs to advance? If you needed 100 out of 180 strawbs to advance… fun?

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 days ago

you can’t really compare a 3d game made in 1992 with a 2010s 2d platformer though. for what it’s worth, i think things can just be not to your taste without them being bad. like i really didn’t enjoy celeste but i’m not gonna say it’s a bad game because of the things i didn’t like

link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    7 days ago

makima-huh what 3d game made in 1992, Wolfenstein 3D? But also why not? Both platformers. You can also put this collecting logic on Megaman X and it’s the same problem.

Fwiw I didn’t enjoy Celeste either, mostly its last chapter is just cock n ball torture for no reason. I like the base game okay. And yeah I guess, but then every single 3D platformer was a Rareware game or a Mario 64 clone for like a decade after that. Making jumping games be about making number go up by collecting stuff reminds me of MMO design or lootgrinding, just busywork to make numbers go up, a fundamentally timewasting design. Missing the point that the joy of motion is what made platformers fun… Missing the forest for the trees…