Mine would be creating pen and paper ciphers for my made up secret communication needs.

• xkforce@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Molecules that have been made are. Molecules that I investigate havent been made yet. They’re drawn in jmol by hand and need to have their structures optimized otherwise you can’t accurately calculate those molecules’ properties. Eg. Raman spectra, strength of interactions between them and other molecules or ions, what the orbitals look like i.e how the molecule is actually held together or in the case of plane wave calculations and with the assistance of other software, you can design and build new materials with interesting properties. Eg. Stronger materials, materials that exhibit linearity in transistors (nanotubes are an example of this but so far various issues with their manufacture has not lead to strong evidence of this in experiments for a number of reasons)

New materials, catalysts to speed up reactions, new drugs, this sort of work has a lot of useful applications but its also just interesting to see what can be built just for the hell of it.

• xkforce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

A puzzle is a pretty good analogy for designing drug molecules. Drugs interact with proteins and enzymes much like trying to snap a puzzle piece into a puzzle. i.e lock and key model. Currently the strategy drug companies use essentially amounts to synthesizing millions of potential drug candidates in small quantities and testing for target activity. This is… horribly inefficient and it is hoped that better modeling can help cut down on either the number of candidate drugs that need to be screened and/or refine the drugs’ activity to be more targeted (reduce side effects)

• Savvy95@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Thank you for explaining it to a layperson. Your enjoyment of this hobby shines through and so you’ve enlightened me to some new in the world.

Has your hobby produced anything useful or sharable? Or is like all the beautiful pictures I’ve taken that remain on my phone?

• xkforce@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I am working toward submitting some of it for publication in a peer reviewed scientific journal. The research in question involves new aromatic ring systems that mostly have applications as catalysts.